ATLANTA - JUNE 28: Starting pitcher Stephen Strasburg #37 of the Washington Nationals catches the ball before pitching in the second inning the Atlanta Braves at Turner Field on June 28, 2010 in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
Tonight's Top 5:
5. Strasburg Hit Hard By Braves Early, Still Nothing!! The Atlanta Braves, who play in front of an average crowd of 29,678 a night, drew 42,899 tonight, including what the ESPN Monday Night Baseball broadcast claimed was over 9,600 day-of-game ticket sales by fans eager to see the Braves face and hopefully beat Nats' right-hander Stephen Strasburg, who was making just his fifth start of the season and first since suffering a loss to the Kansas City Royals last week in DC. Melky Cabrera was the first to make solid contact, lining a 98mph 1-0 fastball outside into left for a one-out double in the first. Strasburg got the second out of the frame from Chipper Jones, who lined out to Josh Willingham in left on a 98mph fastball up and inside, but gave up a two-out single to Brian McCann on a first pitch change the Braves' catcher ripped to left. Melky Cabrera tries to score from second on McCann's hit and gets thrown out at the plate by Nats' left fielder Willingham!!...Strasburg gives up a leadoff walk and one-out single in the second and then silences the Oh-oh-oh-ing crowd when he draws a DP grounder out of Braves' center fielder Gregor Blanco. 2.0 scoreless. 10 pitches and three groundouts later, it's 3.0 scoreless. Chipper Jones singles to start the Braves' fourth. Strasburg strikes out McCann and gets a DP grounder from Troy Glaus to Ryan Zimmerman, Alberto Gonzalez, Adam Dunn, double play. 4.0!!! Eric Hinske, Yunel Escobar and Gregor Blanco = Swinging, Swinging, Looking...5.0 scoreless..
4. Strasburg Through 5.0 Scoreless...Uh, Nats Too...Once again, it's an opposing pitcher with something to prove. This time it's the Braves' Tim Hudson, who's beaten the Nats in 8 of 14 career stats over which he's allowed just 22 runs in 100.0 IP. Hudson matches Strasburg inning for scoreless inning, holding the Nationals to 5 hits over 7.0 IP, and not allowing a Nats' runner past second. Hudson throws 113 pitches, 17 for strikes, gives up the 5 hits and 3 walks while recording 6 K's....
3. E: 69? DESMOND!!!!: Strasburg enters the seventh having thrown 73 pitches through 6.0 scoreless and given up just 4 hits and a walk. The Nats' right-hander walks Chipper Jones on 4 pitches and gives up a single to Brian McCann on a first-pitch fastball to put two on for Troy Glaus....Strasburg is out of trouble, though. The Nats' right-hander gets a DP grounder out of Glaus, but Ian Desmond, momentarily screened by Chipper Jones as Chipper goes second to third, boots it. Desmond's 19th error. The Nationals' 69th of 2010. Bases loaded. No outs. Eric Hinske hits a sac fly. 1-0 Braves. Yunel Escobar singles in a run. Strasburg's done. 2-0 Atlanta. Strasburg throws 19 pitches in the 7th before he's lifted. Gregor Blanco's safety squeeze scores another run, this one with Sean Burnett on the mound. 3-0 Braves. Omar Infante singles in a run. 4-0 Braves. Drew Storen replaces Burnett and gives up a sac fly to Martin Prado. 5-0 Braves.
• Stephen Strasburg's Line: 6.1 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 7 K's, 92 pitches, 57 strikes, 9 groundouts, 2 flyouts.
2. Tim Hudson Throws 7.0 Shutout IP: Matching Strasburg inning for scoreless inning, the Braves' right-handed starter throws 113 pitches, 73 for strikes and give up 5 hits and 3 walks while striking out 6 and inducing 12 groundouts and 1 fly ball out from the Nats' batters, who provide no support for their own starter. Braves' lefty Jonny Venters throws 2.0 scoreless for the combined shutout of the Nats, who lose their 5th-straight and 9th of the last 11 games played.
1. Nats Don't Support Strasburg: 6.0 IP against the Royals. No run support. The Nationals score 1 run in 7.0 innings with Strasburg on the mound against the White Sox, get shut out by the Royals and come up empty in 7.0 innings tonight. Roger Bernadina goes 2 for 3 with a double and a walk. Ivan Rodriguez, Adam Dunn and Ian Desmond have a single each, but that's it. Morgan 0 for 4. Zim 0 for 3. Alberto Gonzalez 0 for 3, 3 K's.
• Miss The Game? The DC Faithful Were Watching...
|Num||Name - Comments:|
|1||Doghouse - 142|
|2||souldrummer - 104|
|3||MissB - 84|
|4||grizzy - 83|
|6||TJL - 50|
|7||RoscoeNats - 44|
|8||John Quinn - 41|
|9||Tvm950 - 33|
|10||wxguy - 31|
|11||Dave from NNN - 26|
• Final Score: Braves 5, Nationals 1.
FULL GAME REPORT:
1 - Nats' leadoff man Nyjer Morgan hits a weak grounder to short that Yunel Escobar boots, Morgan safe at first. Braves' right-hander Tim Hudson works slowly with the runner on and eventually picks him off, according to the ump at least. Ivan "Pudge Rodriguez works a walk in a 9-pitch AB. Ryan Zimmerman grounds to short, Escobar to Martin Prado to Troy Glaus, double play...Stephen Strasburg gets a groundout to third from Martin Prado. Melky Cabrera doubles to the left field corner, going the other way on a fastball up high and outside. Chipper Jones lines to left for the second out of the first. Brian McCann lines through short, but too hard, Willingham comes up throwing and nails Cabrera at the plate. 0-0 after one.
2 - Adam Dunn K's swinging ahead of a change. Josh Willingham grounds out to Chipper at third. Roger Bernadina goes back up the middle with a two-out single. Ian Desmond up, Bernadina takes second on a throw by first by Hudson. But Hudson throws a slider by Desmond to get a swinging K...Troy Glaus takes a leadoff walk from Strasburg. Eric Hinske fouls a two-strike fastball into Pudge's mitt. One down. Yunel Escobar goes back up the middle for a one-out single. Gregor Blanco grounds to second, Alberto Gonzalez to Ian Desmond to Adam Dunn, double play.
3 - Alberto Gonzalez flails at a fastball outside. Stephen Strasburg grounds out to short. Nyjer Morgan flies out to the right-center gap, Melky Cabrera gets there...Tim Hudson grounds back to the mound on a 1-2 curve. Martin Prado grounds to third. Two down. Melky Cabrera grounds out to second. Three scoreless for Stras. 10 pitch third.
4 - Pudge Rodriguez grounds weakly to third and Chipper Jones can't get it. Infield hit. Hit and run on with Ryan Zimmerman up and it goes awry resulting in a caught stealing at second. Zim tests Chipper, this time the veteran's up to it. Two down. Adam Dunn goes the other way for a two-out single. Josh Willingham works a two-out walk, but Roger Bernadina goes down swinging...Chipper Jones lines to left for a leadoff single in the Braves' fourth. Brian McCann K's swinging over a change. Troy Glaus grounds sharply third, where Zim plays. Zim to the General to Dunn, inning-ending DP.
5 - Ian Desmond grounds to short, but Yunel Escobar can't backhand it. Leadoff man on. Alberto Gonzalez K's swinging and throws his bat into the stands. Stephen Strasburg tries to bunt but gets too much of it, Hudson takes out the lead runner. Stras safe at first. Nyjer Morgan grounds out to second on the first pitch he sees...Strasburg throws a 1-2 fastball by Eric Hinske. Yunel Escobar goes down swinging at an 89mph change outside. Gregor Blanco K's looking at a fastball on the low outside corner.
6 - Ivan Rodriguez grounds out to third, Chipper makes the throw. Ryan Zimmerman takes a one-out walk in front of Adam Dunn. Dunn grounds into the shift, Chipper can't turn the DP. Josh Willingham rolls the third out back to the mound, Hudson throws to first, 0-0 in the sixth...Tim Hudson chases an 0-2 change outside. Martin Prado stares an 0-2 fastball all the way in for a called strike three. Melky Cabrera grounds to first, Dunn tosses to Strasburg covering.
7 - Roger Bernadina lines a leadoff double to left off Tim Hudson. Ian Desmond bunts Bernadina over to third. Alberto Gonzalez K's swinging in front of Strasburg. Stephen Strasburg grounds to short to end the Nats' seventh...Chipper walks on four straight. Brian McCann singles to center. Two on for Troy Glaus. Ground ball to Desmond and he boots it when Chipper crosses in front of him. Bases loaded, no outs. Eric Hinske flies to center, Chipper tags and scores. Both runners move up. 1-0 Braves. Yunel Escobar lines a single to left to score McCann. 2-0 Braves. Gregor Blanco vs Sean Burnett. Safety squeeze, Burnett can't make a play. Glaus scores. 3-0 Braves. Omar Infante grounds toward the hole at short, Zimmerman gets a glove on it, but it bounces off his wrist. Escobar scores on the play, 4-0 Braves. Burnett out. Drew Storen vs Martin Prado. LIne drive to right, Bernie catchs and throws, not even close, 5-0. Melky Cabrera takes a two-out walk. Chipper Jones K's swinging to end the seventh.
8 - Jonny Venters gets Nyjer Morgan swinging. One down. Pudge Rodriguez flies out to right. Ryan Zimmerman grounds back to the mound, and it's 5-0 Atlanta after five and a half...Miguel Batista gets a grounder to second from Brian McCann. Troy Glaus flies to Bernadina in right. Venters K's swinging.
9 - Adam Dunn pops out to the infield before Jonny Venters walks Willingham. Roger Bernadina takes a one-out walk. Ian Desmond K's swinging. Cristian Guzman grounds to third to end the game. Braves win, 5-0.