Tonight's Top 5:
5. Leadoff HR Off Facade Of The Second Deck: The Nats' rookie right-hander Stephen Strasburg gets behind the Giants' leadoff hitter Andres Torres, and then leaves a 3-1 fastball out over the plate and low and Torres destroys it, gone in a hurry and off the facade below the second deck in right, probably put a dent. 1-0 Giants very early on Strasburg. Strasburg starts the game behind the first three batters, but gets third second and third batters out and gets ahead of Pat Burrell before popping the Giants' outfielder up to end the top of the first.
4. No One Home...Uh, At Second: Roger Bernadina hits a one-out double off the out-of-town scoreboard in the Nationals' first and he slides in safely at second ahead of the throw in. San Francisco starter Matt Cain gets a fly ball from Ryan Zimmerman for the second out and tries to get the third out himself, attempting to pick Bernadina off second, but as he spins to throw there's no one there, Cain tries to stop himself, throws it straight down and has it bounce into center, Bernadina's running, Nats' third base coach Pat Listach waves him around, and he beats the throw from center home to score the tying run, 1-1.
Jim Riggleman on Bernadina: "He's a great athlete, and he displays that with the way he swings the bat, the way he throws and runs. We've seen that happen with people, Cain just couldn't quite keep the ball in his hand, it goes off of him and out into the outfield, but I've never seen anybody score from second when it happened though and that's a credit to Roger and Pat Listach to keep him going there. Pat did a great job on that play to get Roger in there, but when you have speed out there it sometimes makes people do some things."
3. SHAKE N BAKE!!! SHAKE N BAKE!! Adam Dunn provides Strasburg with some much needed run-support, taking Matt Cain deep on a low 2-0 fastball that ends up in the right-center stands above the out-of-town scoreboard. Dunn's 21st home ru---and make the 22!!! DUNN DOES IT AGAIN in the seventh to put the Nats up 7-1. Dunn's down 0-2 to Cain and he takes a curve in the dirt before unloading on an 86mph change that's knee-high and outside, sending it out into the Red Porch seats in left-center for a two-run blast and a 7-1 Nats' lead. Dunn's now 7 for 12 in the last 3 games with 5 HR's and 11 RBI's.
2. Strasburg Goes 6: Stephen Strasburg throws 6.0 IP, retiring the Giants in order in the second and third and giving up a leadoff walk and a two-out single in the fourth before striking Giants' third baseman Pablo Sandoval out with a 1-2 heater upstairs that the Big Panda can't climb high enough to get to. Strasburg gives up 3 hits, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 HR to the first batter he faces, then gives up just two hits and a walk the rest of the way, throwing 95 pitches, 61 for strikes, but gets just 1 groundout and 6 flyouts from some Giants' hitters who make good contact early.
Strasburg on Strasburg:
Stephen Strasburg: "After [the first inning HR], I was like, you know what, bottom line, if they're going to beat me, they're going to beat me on me calling my own game. And I was just putting it all on my shoulders and I have to do that from now on."
1. Wil Who? Wil Nieves breaks up a tight 2-1 game with a bases loaded single in the Nats' sixth that drives in two runs to give the Nationals some breathing room. Nieves is 2 for 4 on the night with 2 RBI's. Willie Harris, who gets a rare start, is 3 for 4 with an RBI, doubling Cristian Guzman in after Guz takes a two-out walk in the Nats' 4-run eighth inning. 8-1 Nats after eight and Strasburg gets the curly-W for the first time in 5 starts.
• Miss The Game? The DC Faithful Were Watching:
|Num||Name - Comments|
|1||wxguy - 77|
|2||MissB - 76|
|3||grizzy - 73|
|4||RoscoeNats - 43|
|5||brook - 42|
|6||Jorgath - 41|
|7||d_c_guy - 40|
|8||cat daddy3000 - 38|
|9||jasonkylebates - 35|
|10||lnytheone - 30|
|11||rachel216 - 28|
• Final Score: Nationals 8, Giants 1.
Nationals now 39-48.
FULL GAME REPORT:
1 - Nats' right-hander Stephen Strasburg gets behind Giants' leadoff hitter Andres Torres, 2-1, then 3-1 and he gives up a solo HR on a 97mph fastball to the first batter he faces, off the facade lining the second deck and back down into the stands, 1-0 Giants. Freddy Sanchez flies to left on the first pitch he sees. Aubrey Huff flies out to Nyjer Morgan in center. Two down. Pat Burrell works back from 0-2 and lines out to center. 1-0 Giants after a half...Matt Cain gets a third strike that Nyjer Morgan tips into SF catcher Buster Posey's glove. Roger Bernadina doubles off the base of the out-of-town scoreboard in right for a one-out double. Ryan Zimmerman flies out to left field where Pat Burrell makes the grab. Adam Dunn up. Cain turns to throw and tries not to when he sees no one is there, throwing it straight down and into center on a bounce, Bernadina doesn't stop and he beats the throw home. 1-1 game on the error. Adam Dunn K's swinging to end the first.
2 - Buster Posey lines out to Cristian Guzman at short. Stephen Strasburg gets Pablo Sandoval swinging at a diving two-strike change. Travis Ishikawa gets a sick 0-2 bender and doesn't have a chance...Cristian Guzman starts the Nats' second with a leadoff single to right. Willie Harris rips a line drive to right, two on, no outs. Adam Kennedy vs Cain. Adam Kennedy flies unproductively to left, one down. Wil Nieves hits into an inning-ending DP, 1-1 after two.
3 - Edgar Renteria goes down swinging at a 2-2 curve in the dirt. Matt Cain pops out to Kennedy behind second. Andres Torres gets a 2-2 bender that drops out of mid-air...Strasburg K's swinging. Nyjer Morgan grounds out to second, two down. Roger Bernadina pops out to Pablo Sandoval in foul territory off third.
4 - Freddy Sanchez vs Strasburg in the fourth. Strasburg misses with a full-count curve, leadoff walk. Aubrey Huff takes a 2-2 fastball for a called strike three. Pat Burrell pops a 3-1 pitch up to short center. Two down. Giants' catcher Buster Posey sends a weak grounder up the middle for a two-out infield hit. Two on. Pablo Sandoval K's swinging at a fastball upstairs, still 1-1 game...Ryan Zimmerman K's looking at a full-count curve. Adam Dunn gets up 2-0 and launches a low fastball to right-center and GONE!!! Solo HR, 2-1 Nats. Cristian Guzman grounds out to second. Willie Harris hits a two-out single to center and stops abruptly as the throw comes in quickly. Adam Kennedy grounds to first, Ishikawa snaps it up. 2-1 Nats after four.
5 - Travis Ishikawa gets a line drive into the right-center gap and to the wall and he beats Roger Bernadina's throw to second. Edgar Renteria flies out to right, Ishikawa beats Bernadina's throw to third. Matt Cain K's swinging at a 1-2 bender low and outside. Aaron Rowand flies out to Bernadina in right...Wil Nieves doubles to left and to the wall to start the Nats' fifth. Stephen Strasburg squares to bunt with two strikes but pulls back and has it called strike three. Nyjer Morgan pops out to short left. Roger Bernadina grounds out to third, Sandoval guns him down.
6 - Strasburg's back in the sixth. Freddy Sanchez pops out on the first pitch he sees. Aubrey Huff grounds to second, that's two pitches, two outs. Pat Burrell K's tipping a 2-2 pitch into Nieves' glove, still 2-1 Nats in the sixth...Ryan Zimmerman flies out to left. Adam Dunn follows with a double off the center field wall. Dunn takes third on a wild pitch from Cain. Guzman works a walk. First and third, one out for Willie Harris. Harris K's looking. Two down. Adam Kennedy takes a two-out walk. Wil Nieves sends a blooper to right and it falls in, Dunn scores from third, Guzman scores, Nieves thrown out at first. 4-1 Nats after six.
7 - Buster Posey grounds back to Sean Burnett, one down. Pablo Sandoval K's chasing a fastball up high. Travis Ishikawa dumps a two-out single into short left. One on, two down. Burnett's done. Drew Storen comes on to face Edgar Renteria, who pops out to center, still 4-1 Nats...Alberto Gonzalez rips a grounder by third and into the corner and hustles around for a leadoff triple. Nyjer Morgan singles to center to score Gonzalez, 5-1 Nats. Roger Bernadina flies out to left. One down. Zimmerman pops out to short, two down. Adam Dunn up, Morgan steals second. Adam Dunn does it again!!! 22nd HR of the year for Adam Dunn, just to the left of center, 7-1 Nats! Guzman walks. Cain is done. Guillermo Mota on for the Giants. Willie Harris lines a double to right, Guzman scores, 8-1 Nationals!!! Drew Storen K's swinging to end the Nats' seventh.
8 - Fly ball to center from Nate Schierholtz. Storen's got one out in the eighth. Aaron Rowand K's swinging. Freddy Sanchez grounds to second to end the Giants' eighth...Wil Nieves flies out to left field. Alberto Gonzalez pops out to Ishikawa at first. Nyjer Morgan singles to center. Roger Bernadina thinks he's walked but he's called out on strikes.
9 - Joel Peralta on to end it. Aubrey Huff grounds out to second. Pat Burrell pops up to center. Two down. Buster Posey K's swinging to end the game. Nationals win, 8-1 final.