Sunday Top 5:
5. Lannan's Back: Nats' lefty John Lannan's starting for the first time since June 20th, when he was sent to Double-AA Harrisburg to sort himself out. (1-4) with a 4.20 ERA, 2.2 BB/2 and 6.2 K/9 in 7 starts for the Senators, Lannan was called upon to take Stephen Strasburg's scheduled outing after the rookie right-hander was placed on the DL with shoulder issues. Lannan's shaky at the start, recording two outs before giving up a double to Jayson Werth, hitting Ryan Howard and surrendering back-to-back two-out RBI singles to Ben Francisco and Domonic Brown, 2-0 Phillies after one.
4. The New One And Two: Roger Bernadina and Ian Desmond are hitting first and second for the first time this season, and they get things started for the Nats in the fourth when Bernadina's hit by Cole Hamels and Desmond doubles to right-center to set Adam Dunn up with two runners in scoring position. Dunn, who has trouble with the Philly lefty (and most lefties) goes down swinging, so it's up to Zim and Zim's up to it, two-run double to right-center and a 2-2 game.
3. E: 25, 82: Ian Desmond's 25th Error is an error of aggression as some like to call them, but really a grounder behind second that he gets to and should pocket, but the 24-year-old shortstop tries to make a throw from the lip of the grass and he bounces it by Adam Dunn at first allowing Placido Polanco to take second on what should have been an infield single. John Lannan walks Jayson Werth to put two on with no outs a half inning after the Nats tied it, but "Cool Hand" handles it, striking out three-straight batters to end the fifth and his first outing back with the Nats. Lannan's Line: 5.0 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K's, 96 pitches, 59 strikes, 10 groundouts, 1 flyout.
• Riggleman On Lannan:
Jim Riggleman: "John was fine. Real early they were hitting him around a little bit, little struggle, then he hit a little groove where you notice a lot of ground balls went to short and third, and that's when you know John's throwing the ball good, when he's getting those ground balls toward the second base bag to the third base bag, those balls in there that Desi and Zim have a chance to make plays on that's when John's throwing good and we had quite a few of those, so that's an indication for me that he's getting closer."
2. SHAKE N BAKE!! SHAKE N BAKE!!!: 2-2 game in the sixth, Ian Desmond starts the frame with a single to center off Cole Hamels. Adam Dunn up next. Hamels misses with two changeups and tries a fastball outside and high that Dunn drives to deeeeeeeeeep right and GONE!!! HR no.25 on the year for the Nats' big middle-of-the-order bat, and a 4-2 lead for the Nats after six...a half inning later, Miguel Batista walks the leadoff batter, Jimmy Rollins, who scores when Placido Polanco doubles in the next at bat, 4-3 Nats. Joel Peralta replaces Batista and Polanco moves to second on a single by Ross Gload and scores on an RBI groundout by Ben Francisco, 4-4.
1. Nats Take Two Of Three From Philly: Ian Desmond's 26th error puts a runner on with one out in the eighth, but Joel Peralta gets the next two outs to end the eighth and Nats' right-hander Drew Storen retires six-straight to send the game to extra innings. Top of the eleventh, with Tyler Clippard and Sean Burnett unavailable, the Nats' Skipper turns to right hander Collin Balester. Wilson Valdez drops a perfect bunt down on the first pitch he sees, and beats the covering pitcher to first. Roy Oswalt gets a bunt down and one out later Placido Polanco singles up the middle off Balester to score Valdez and then scores himself on a Jayson Werth double, 6-4 Phillies win...
Jim Riggleman: "We played pretty good [on the homestand] and got some big hits, Adam [Dunn] hit a two-run homer today, Zim hit the HR last night, just a lot of really good things happened and we've just got to realize that we're not that far away in terms of competing with these clubs like Atlanta and Philadelphia. We play'em even up pretty much and we just have to realize that we're right there if we just play good solid baseball, pitch a little deeper into the game, we're gonna see more light at the end of the tunnel."
Note: After the game, the Nats announced that they would send LHP Atahualpo Severino to Triple-A Syracuse and officially called Justin Maxwell back up to the majors on Monday. Severino did not make his MLB debut while with the team.
Miss The Game? The DC Faithful Were Watching...
|Num||Name - Comments|
|1||sweetpearacer - 223|
|2||ajk9hy - 146|
|3||rachel216 - 116|
|4||MissB - 86|
|5||DC3 - 83|
|6||plebescite - 61|
|7||grizzy - 56|
|8||Jorgath - 43|
|9||gannett123 - 29|
|10||Andrew Davidson - 24|
FULL GAME REPORT:
1 - Phillies' leadoff man Jimmy Rollins sends a sharp grounder to third where Ryan Zimmerman picks it and throws him out. One down for Nats' lefty John Lannan. Placido Polanco tries to sneak a single up the middle, but Ian Desmond cuts it off and throws him out. Jayson Werth works the count full and doubles off the left field wall, just beating the throw to second from Josh Willingham. Ryan Howard gets hit and isn't happy about it. Ben Francisco slices a line drive to right that scores Werth to make it 1-0 Phillies. Domonic Brown singles to center to score pinch runner Cody Ransom (on for injured Howard), 2-0 Phillies. Double steal, no throw from Nieves. Carlos Ruiz grounds to Zim, who tags Brown on his way to third, 2-0 Philly after a half...Roger Bernadina K's swinging over a 1-2 change inside. Ian Desmond sends a 1-0 pitch out to first for the second out. Adam Dunn grounds out to second, 2-0 Philly after one.
2 - Wilson Valdez starts the Phillies' second with a single to right. Sac bunt from the opposing pitcher, Nieves throws him out. Jimmy Rollins grounds back to the mound and Placido Polanco grounds to short, Ian Desmond fields behind second and throws across his body to get the out...Ryan Zimmerman flies out to left. Josh Willingham goes down chasing a two-strike change outside. 2-2 change to Morse, swinging K for Hamels.
3 - Jayson Werth leads off the Phillies' third. Pop fly to short right, Alberto Gonzalez gets there. Cody Ransom hits a one-hopper to short. Two down. Ben Francisco lines a two-out double to left. Domonic Brown hits a one-hopper to second, Alberto Gonzalez makes the play...Wil Nieves erases Alberto Gonzalez's leadoff single with a DP grounder to short, Rollins to Polanco to Ransom, double play. John Lannan K's swinging to end the third, still 2-0 Philly.
4 - Lannan vs Ruiz in the fourth. Groundout to third, Zimmerman handles it. Wilson Valdez grounds to short, two down quickly. Cole Hamels lines a single to center, but Jimmy Rollins sends a soft liner to second to end the top of the fourth...Roger Bernadina gets hit by Hamels and then goes first to third on an Ian Desmond double to right-center. Second and third for Dunn. Adam Dunn K's swinging for the first out. Ryan Zimmerman doubles to right center, 2-2 game. Willingham goes down looking. Michael Morse swinging, 2-2 after four.
5 - Placido Polanco reaches first safely on a sharp grounder to second when Ian Desmond fields and throws it by Dunn at first. Lannan walks Jayson Werth. Cody Ransom with two on. Strike three looking on a full-count change. Ben Francisco goes down chasing another full-count change outside!!! Two down. Domonic Brown gets a full-count change and he K's too, three-straight!!...Alberto Gonzalez grounds out to first. Wil Nieves K's swinging. Livan Hernandez with a pinch hit appearance. Scorched grounder to third, robbed by a diving Polanco. 2-2 after five.
6 - Miguel Batista takes over for Lannan. Carlos Ruiz grounds to second. Wilson Valdez gives Zimmerman some work. Cole Hamels grounds to second, to end the top of the sixth...Roger Bernadina grounds out to first on the first pitch he sees. Ian Desmond takes a sharp turn around first, but settles for a single to left. Adam Dunn destroys a 2-0 pitch from Hamels...DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP to right and GONE!!! 4-2 Nats. Ryan Zimmerman singles on a line drive to left, but he's erased by a force at second on Hammer's grounder to short. Michael Morse goes down chasing a full-count change into the dirt.
7 - Miguel Batista walks Jimmy Rollins to start the Phillies' seventh. Placido Polanco doubles to left and makes it a 4-3 game after the leadoff walk. Joel Peralta replaces Batista. Jayson Werth pops out to Wil Nieves. Ross Gload hits for Cody Ransom. Gload sends a weak grounder to third, Zim's throw pulls Dunn off first. Ben Francisco grounds sharply to third, Zimmerman bobbles but throws to second for the force, Desi's throw to first is late, Rollins scores, 4-4. Domonic Brown flies to right to end the top of the seventh...Alberto Gonzalez grounds out to third. Wil Nieves works the count full and K's swinging. Pinch hitter Nyjer Morgan grounds to third to end the seventh, still 4-4.
8 - Carlos Ruiz flies out to Nyjer Morgan in center. One down. Wilson Valdez grounds to short and the high hop hits Desmond in the shoulder. E: 6. Greg Dobbs pops out to Desmond behind second. Jimmy Rollins up, Valdez steals second on Nieves. Rollins pops up to Zimmerman to end the Phillies' eighth...Roger Bernadina K's swinging. Philly lefty J.C. Romero pops up Ian Desmond. Adam Dunn walks with two down. Romero's done. Ryan Madson on to face Ryan Zimmerman. Groundout to short, force at second, 4-4 after eight.
9 - Drew Storen gets a fly ball to deeeeep center from Placido Polanco for the first out of the ninth. Jayson Werth goes down swinging at a high 1-2 heater and Ross Gload grounds out to end the top of the ninth...Josh Willingham vs Ryan Madson. Swinging K for the Hammer. Adam Kennedy pops out to third. Two down. Alberto Gonzalez singles through short to keep the inning alive. Wil Nieves lines back to Madson, who drops it, but makes the play.
10 - Drew Storen pops up Ben Francisco. Domonic Brown gets up 3-0, takes two strikes and goes down swinging. Carlos Ruiz flies out to center to end the top of the tenth...Nyjer Morgan bunts his way on to start the tenth. Roger Bernadina bunts Morgan over to second. Willie Harris grounds out to first, two down. Morgan to third. Adam Dunn up. Adam Dunn down, swinging K to end the tenth.
11 - Wilson Valdez bunts toward first and beats new Nats' pitcher Collin Balester to the bag. Roy Oswalt gets a sac bunt down. Valdez to second. Jimmy Rollins flies out to center. Two down. Nyjer Morgan throws for third instead of the cutoff man, Valdez safe. Placido Polanco lines to center, Valdez scores, 5-4 Phillies. Jayson Werth hits an RBI double off the out-of-town scoreboard, 6-4 Phillies. Polanco scores. The Nats walks Gload intentionally. Ben Francisco K's swinging to end the top of the frame...Ryan Zimmerman grounds out to third, one down. Josh Willingham flies out to center. Two down. Adam Kennedy flies to left, Phillies win.