Yesterday's Know Your Nats Question: Who is the current full-season minor league system leader in On Base Plus Slugging Percentage (OPS, minimum 300 PA)? [Answer: Justin Bloxom who has an .831 OPS. Sadly, he's hurt right now.]
I had a chance to listen to most of Tom Milone's start last night. I was very impressed. His stuff doesn't appear to be top end of the rotation and he has a fastball that tops out around 90MPH. But the results, especially in his recent starts, are very encouraging. He was getting a bunch of swings and misses. His career high 13K night propelled Harrisburg to a 10-1 win over Erie. Potomac lost Michael Burgess due to promotion but that didn't hurt the offense last night. Tyler Moore hit a grand slam in a 9-1 win over Kinston and things got testy. He was plunked and winning pitcher Trevor Holder through behind a batter and was ejected. Sadly, the news wasn't all good. Atahualpa Severino gave up a walkoff grand slam in a 5-3 loss to the Louisville Bats that may be the final nail in the coffin for Syracuse's playoff hopes.
Your minors links and prospect performances after the jumps:
- April Whitzman at Nationalsprospects.com has a complete organizational summary and tonight's pitching matchups as well as a description of the exchange of beanballs that led to Trevor Holder's ejection.
- Tom Milone was the stopper last night and George Morrow gives credit to other offensive heroes like Tim Pahuta, Jesus Valdez and Tim Pahuta in his gamer. Minor leaguers like Milone do care about the playoffs:
"We definitely want to make the playoffs. Tonight was a good indication of how bad we want to make it. Last night was a tough loss, but I think the team did good at bouncing back and really showing what we’re capable of." – Tom Milone on his team's expectations for the rest of the regular season.
- Matt Chico, LSP: 6IP, 0R, 6H, 5K 100 pitches, 69 strikes; Are we seeing the last day's of Matt Chico? His ERA at Syracuse is down to a legit 3.70 and he's doing pretty much all they can ask of him at Syracuse. Still, he hasn't earned a callup outside of his one shot deal earlier in the year.
- Fan Fav Josh Wilkie, RRP: (H, 8) 2.0IP, 0R, 1H, 5K If you want wins, let the man close!
- Fan Fav Michael Martinez, SS: 0-4, 2K
- Atahualpa Severino, LRP: (BS, 5; L 4-3) .1IP, 2H, 3ER, BB, K, Walkoff GS HR [facepalm]
- Fan Fav Boomer Whiting, CF: 1-4, RBI, K
- Stepehen Lombardozzi, 2B: 1-4, K
- Chris Marrero, 1B: 4-5, 2R, 4RBI, 2R HR
- Michael Burgess, RF: 1-5, R, RBI, 2B, K
- Tom Milone, LSP: (W, 10-5) 6.2IP, 1R, 7H, 0BB, 13K
High A Potomac:
- Trevor Holder, RSP: (W, 2-2) 5.2IP, 1ER, 3H, 3BB, 5K, 1HR Ejected in the 6th for throwing behind a batter trying to protect a previously plunked Tyler Moore. I'm not but so much of a Holder fan but he gets props from me for sticking behind one of his guys.
- Derek Norris, C: 2-3, R, 2BB, up to .826 OPS
- Tyler Moore, 1B: 2-3, R, 5RBI, GS HR, HBP
Low A Hagerstown: Rained Out