Probably the biggest news in the minors today is that Jordan Zimmermann is scheduled to make what could be his final start for Syracuse in the final game of the series against the Louisville Bats. It will be a matchup against Aaron Harang, who is also expected to contribute to the Reds playoff efforts down the stretch. I'm very curious to see how Zimmermann does against Cincinnati catching prospect Devin Mesoraco. Devin Morasco's hit grand slams against our pitchers in back to back games and victimized Syracuse starter Andrew Kohn (L, 1-4) in a Chiefs 6-2 loss to the Louisville Bats.
Jesus Valdez was the offensive bright spot in a 5-3 Harrisburg loss to Erie. He had a 2RBI and plated all 3RBI in the game. Garrett Mock's rehab start was spoiled by a three run home run in his final inning of work. Mock's line: 5IP, 4R, 6H, 4BB, 0K, 3R HR, HBP. Hagerstown played a doubleheader after last night's rain out. In Game 1, three 9th inning errors ruined a solid start by Paul Demny and an outstanding 2-3, 2RBI, 4 steal night for Eury Perez in a 4-3 Hagerstown loss to Delmarva. In game 2, they bounced back with 2RBI each from shortstop Rick Hague and catcher Adrian Nieto. Potomac was rained out.
Your links and prospect performances after the jump:
(Ed. Note: Links added 2:36PM)
- Nationalsprospects.com highlights a big 11th inning win for Vermont.
- Nationalsprospects.com also reviews prospect performances from the past two weeks in their Good, Bad, and Interesting performance. Josh Smoker,at Hagerstown and Brian Bixler at Syracuse are two prospects labeled "interesting".
- For those interested in Mock as a prospect, Geoff Morrow has a nice article describing his start against the freeswingers of Erie and the plan for Mock going forward.. He'll make two starts for Syracuse before he comes off the 60-day DL and the Nationals have to decide what to do with a 40-man slot for him.
- The Hagerstown gamer describes Stephen King's disastrous two errors plus ejection 7th inning for Hagerstown in game one and the 7th inning rally in game two.
- Fav Fav Boomer Whiting, CF: 1-3, R, BB, K, SB
- Danny Espinosa, SS: 1-3, K, HBP, SB
- Jeff Mandel, RRP: 1IP, 0R, 0K, 0BB
- Jason Bergmann, RRP: 1IP, 0R, 0BB, 3K
- Garrett Mock, RSP: 5IP, 4R, 6H, 4BB, 0K, 3R HR, HBP
- Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez: 1.2IP, 0H, 0R, 2BB, 2K, HBP
- Stephen Lombardozzi, 2B: 1-3, BB, K
- Michael Burgess, RF: 1-3, R, 2B, K, HBP, picked off first by catcher
High A Potomac: Rained Out
Low A Hagerstown:
- Rick Hague: SS Game 1, 0-2, 2BB, K; DH Game 2 1-3, 2RBI, 2B, BB, 2K
- Adrian Sanchez: 2B Game 1, 0-4, 2K; 3B Game 2, 1-1, R
- JP Ramirez: DH Game 1, 1-3, RBI, BB; LF Game 2, 0-4, K
- Destin Hood: LF Game 1, 1-3, BB; RF Game 2, 0-4, K
Eury Perez, CF: Game 1, 2-3, R, 2RBI, 4SB (49 for the year); Game 2, 2-3, R, RBI (Eury Perez is now 2nd in the South Atlantic League for steals behind Boston prospect Jeremy Hazelbaker.)