Nationals top minor league prospect Derek Norris had a rough opening game against the Winston-Salem Dash. On Monday night, Stephen Sauer silenced the P-Nats in a 4-0 Dash Victory over Potomac with eight shutout innings. Norris was most conspicuous among the missing and accounted for three of Sauer's six strikeouts and one of closer Tyson Corley's two strikeouts for the dreaded Golden Sombrero (four Ks).
Last night, Norris bounced back to lead the Potomac charge. It started out early with Norris gunning down would be basestealer Brandon Short in the first inning to stifle a Dash rally in the first. Questions remain about Norris' defense but his arm is not one of them. According to last night's broadcaster he's thrown out over 50% of would be basestealers. After showing off his arm, he then brought out the bat. Down 1-0 entering the top of the 4th, Norris revived the offense with a leadoff double in front of Jamar Walton's two run homer to give Potomac a 2-1 lead. Down 3-2 and six outs a way from having to sweep three games in Potomac to win the series, Potomac had men on first and third with one out, a situation where Potomac simply had to score to stay in the series. Norris delivered with a game tying single. A Bill Rhinehart sacrifice fly and a Tyler Moore RBI single gave Potomac the 5-3 victory over the Dash that they needed to tie the series up at 1-1.
2009 third round draft pick Trevor Holder earns kudos for keeping Potomac in the game by scattering eight hits to allow two runs in 5 2/3. Zach Dials gave up one run in 1 2/3 to earn the win, and Pat McCoy was the pitching star by pitching two scoreless, uneventful innings to seal the game with his first save of the playoffs.
For those looking to catch some ball while the DC Nats are on the road, the P-Nats return home Thursday (7:05), Friday (7:05), and Saturday (6:35 if necessary) as they continue their quest for the Mills Cup. Player performances and a couple links after the jump:http://www.sbnation.com/admin/entries/new?community_id=27&entry_type=Story
- Robert Daski of Insidenova.com offers a series preview for those looking to get an idea of the participants before heading down to Woodbridge.
- Sue Dinem writes about how the P-Nats recovered late after their "lumber was in a slumber" during game 1 and most of game 2. He also writes the best preview of the series.
High A Potomac:
- Trevor Holder, RSP: 5.1IP, 8H, 2ER, 0BB, 5K, 1HR
- Zach Dials, RRP: (W, 1-0) 1.2IP, 2H, ER, 2K
- Pat McCoy, LRP: (S, 1) 2IP, 1H, 0ER, 0BB, K
- Dan Lyons, 3B: 1-4, R, K
- Derek Norris, C: 2-3, 2R, RBI, 2B, BB, K
- Bill Rhinehart, RF: 0-3, RBI, SF
- Tyler Moore, 1B: 1-4, RBI, K
- Jamar Walton, LF: 2-4, R, 2RBI, 2R HR
- Francisco Soriano, 2B: 0-1, R, 2BB, HBP, SB, CS