Garrett Mock made his own case for getting back into the DC rotation mix last night. After a rocky first inning where he gave up a run, he settled down nicely. Mock pitched six strong innings of one run ball in his first win for Syracuse, a 4-1 Chiefs victory of Rochester. His line: 6IP, 4H, 1ER, 2BB, 3K, 2WP. It's still hard for me to see him pitching many innings beyond AAA next year. His strikeout to walk ratio still raises concerns about control, and last night he was the kind of fly ball pitcher (4 groundouts, 9 flyouts) that Rizzo often shies away from. Nice to see him have his best rehab start, and hopefully he'll continue to pitch well enough to pitch in the majors next year. Second basemen Seth Bynum was the offensive star for Syracuse with a solo HR and two runs scored.
Harrisburg started the day 1/2 game behind Bowie in the pennant race and desperately needed some offense and clutch pitching in a doubleheader. Tom Milone and Adrian Alaniz provided the clutch pitching. Milone pitched a complete game, allowing just one run in seven innings in a 9-1 Harrisburg rout over Mets' affiliate Binghamton. Alaniz, a spot starter from Potomac, was the true hero. He gave up no earned runs in five desperately needed innings and earned his first AA win in a 3-1 Senators victory over Binghamton. Michael Burgess provided the thump with two home runs in game one another homer in game two. Chris Marrero showed up with a clutch performance hitting a home run in the opener and going 5-7 combined in the two games.
Gamers for a Potomac vic, a Harrisburg loss plus links and key performances after the jump:
Danny Rosenbaum pitched like an ace for Potomac again. Rosenbaum delivered six shutout innings without walking a batter in a 5-0 Potomac shutout over the Salem Red Sox. Tyler Moore hit his league leading 30th HR. DH Sean Rooney had two doubles and two run scored, and Robert Jacobesen had a double, a homer, and two runs scored to lead the offense. With the win and a Wilmington off day, Potomac reduces its magic number to one. Trevor Holder will try to clinch a playoff spot for Potomac in game 1 of a doubleheader today at 5:00.
Steve McCatty was the only member of the Nationals who could celebrate last night. His son, Shane McCatty, earned his first win for Hagerstown with a strong performance. Shane allowed just one unearned run in five innings, walked no batters, and struck out eight in a 6-5 Hagerstown win over the West Virginia Power. DH and catching prospect Sandy Leon hit 2-5 with two runs scored, an RBI, and a triple to help stave off the Power comeback. Eury Perez had a rare off night going 0-3 with a double play groundout.
- Nationalsprospects.com has the complete organizational summary and pitching matchups for today. Brad Peacock has a crucial start for Harrisburg and Trevor Holder will try to clinch a playoff spot for Potomac.
- Garrett Mock, RSP: 6IP, 4H, 1ER, 2BB, 3K, 2WP, 83 pitches, 52 strikes, 4 groundouts, 9 flyouts
- Adam Carr, RRP: 1IP, 0H, 0R, 0BB, 0K
- Fan Fav Boomer Whiting, LF: 0-4, 3K
- Fan Fav Michael Martinez, SS: 1-4, K
- Seth Bynum, 2B: 1-3, 2R, RBI, HR, BB, 2K
- Chase Lambin, 1B: 1-4, R, RBI, 2B
- Pete Orr, 3B: 1-4, RBI, 2B, K
- Leonard Davis, RF: 1-3, R, RBI, 3B, BB, 2K
- Tom Milone, LSP: Game 1: (W, 12-5) 7IP, 1ER, 7H, 1BB, 9K
- Adrian Alaniz, RSP: Game 2: (W, 1-0) 5IP, 0R, 2H, 2BB, 5K
- Cole Kimball, RRP: Game 2: (S, 11) 1IP, 1ER, 1H, 1 HR, 0BB, 1K
- Stephen Lombardozzi, 2B: Game 1: 3-3, 2R, RBI, HR, 2BB; Game 2: 1-4, R, 2K
Chris Marrero, 1B: Game 1: 3-4, 2R, 3RBI, 2B, 2R HR; Game 2: 2-3, RBI
- Michael Burgess, RF: Game 1: 2-4, 2R, 3RBI, solo HR, 2R HR, 2K; Game 2: 1-3, R, RBI, HR, K
High A Potomac:
- Danny Rosenbaum, LSP: (W, 3-2) 6IP, 0ER, 4H, 0BB, 4K
- Derek Norris, C: 0-4, BB, 3K
- Bill Rhinehart, RF: 1-4, 2B, BB, 2K
- Tyler Moore, 1B: 1-3, R, RBI, HR, BB, K
- Sean Rooney, DH: 2-4, 2R, 2 2B
- Robert Jacobsen, 3B: 2-4, 2R, 2RBI, 2B, HR, 2K
Low A Hagerstown:
- Shane McCatty, RSP: (W, 1-1) 5IP, 4H, 1R, 0ER, 0BB, 8K
- Kyle Morrison, RSP: (S, 2) 1IP, 0R, 0H, 0BB, 3K
- Rick Hague, SS: 1-5, RBI, K
- JP Ramirez, LF: 2-5, RBI, 2B, K
- Destin Hood, RF: 0-4, BB, 3K
- Sandy Leon, DH; 2-5, 2R, RBI, 3B, K
- Eury Perez, CF: 0-3, sac bunt, GIDP
- Brett Newsome, 1B: 2-5, R, 2 2B