• Tonight's Top 5:
5. MORSE CRUSH: You can't stop Michael Morse,
you can only hope to--- and you can't throw him 3-1 fastballs. Cards' starter Kyle McClellan knows that now if he didn't before he served up a sinker that ended up in the visitor's bullpen in left. Morse hits one high over the left field wall for his 11th HR of the year and the Nats' first run of the night. 1-0 Nats after two. Nationals' right-hander Livan Hernandez retired the first six Cards' batters in order on 21 pitches, 13 strikes, and he's back out for the third with a rare lead. Three batters later, Livan's done with another scoreless frame, waltzing through the Cardinals' order once on 33 pitches, 21 strikes...
4. Two-Out Rally!!: The Nationals give Livan Hernandez a second run of support in the bottom of the third, thanks to the Cards' third baseman Albert Pujols, who's over at the hot corner tonight with Lance Berkman playing first. Pujols fields a two-out grounder from Jayson Werth but bounces a throw across the infield that Berkman can't handle. Given the extra out to work with the Nationals get back-to-back two-out singles from Roger Bernadina and Ryan Zimmerman. The Shark's single to right moves Werth to second and Zim's single to center scores the Nats' right fielder. 2-0 Nationals after three innings in Nats Park. Livan Hernandez's 37th pitch of the night is a 1-2 sinker to Ryan Theriot, and it ends up in short right field for the Cards' first hit. Leadoff single in the fourth for Theriot, but he's caught stealing on a 68 mph full-count curve that Colby Rasmus swings through. Strike'em out, throw'em out, Livan's through four scoreless...
3. Support Your Majishun: Michael Morse settles for a double in his second at bat, bouncing a 1-1 sinker from McClellan over the left field wall on one hop and arriving at second standing. Danny Espinosa follows with a long fly to left on a first-pitch fastball. Jon Jay catches up to it at the back of the track, but misses, leaving it sitting on the padding, stuck below the fence/window of the visitor's bullpen. Morse has to settle for third since it looks like the Cards' outfielder makes the catch, but Pudge Rodriguez drives Morse in with an opposite field RBI single. 3-0 Nats. Livan Hernandez can't get a bunt down, but Ian Desmond reaches safely on another error by Pujols, and Espinosa scores from third as the St. Louis' slugger bobbles the ball. 4-0 Nats with two down, and Roger Bernadina's bloop single to left scores Pudge for the Nats' fifth run, 5-0.
2. They Call Him Pudge: Ivan Pudge Rodriguez already has an RBI single and he threw Ryan Theriot out after the Cards' first hit of the night in the fourth. A 10-pitch AB and a leadoff single in the fifth only add to his legend. Pudge takes third on a beautiful sac bunt by Livan Hernandez, and the future Hall of Famer scores on an RBI single to center by Ian Desmond that makes it 6-0 Nats. Livan Hernandez needs just eight pitches to retire the Cardinals in order in the seventh. Livan Hernandez is through seven scoreless on 76 pitches, 52 of them strikes, and he's held the Cards to two hits. No St. Louis batter's gotten past second.
1. MORSE CRUSH! AGAIN!!: Michael Morse takes Cards' reliever Ryan Franklin deeeeeeeeeep to left and GONE!! Laynce Nix scores on Morse's 2nd of the night and 12th of the year. Two-run HR, 8-0 Nats. Morse gets a hanging curve on the eighth pitch he sees from Franklin. 8-0 Nationals. Danny Espinosa's up next and he goes back-to-back with a blast of his own!! Espinosa's 11th!! 9-0 Nats? Are you serious? Espinosa bounces one off the facade above the right field bullpen. A bomb by Espinosa, a 9-0 Nats' lead. Break up the NATS!! In the Nats' eighth, Jayson Werth makes it an even 10-0 with his first home run since he hit two in Baltimore on May 20th.
0. Mr. National Himself: Full-count fastball for a called strike three on Tyler Greene. Mark Hamilton swings through and 87 mph fastball. Another K! Colby Rasmus pops up, and Livan Hernandez has the complete game shutout! 9.0 strong on 105 pitches, 71 strikes. 9.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K's, 9/5 GO/FO. Complete game no. 50 of Livan's career and his 9th career complete game shutout.
• Miss The Game? The DC Faithful Watched Livan Hernandez Perform his Majik:
|Num||Name - Comments|
|1||dc Roach - 191|
|2||d_c_guy - 67|
|3||MissB - 60|
|4||FanSince05 - 57|
|5||Jeff T- 45|
|6||Dan Shields - 38|
|7||rachel216 - 32|
|8||G8RB8 - 15|
|9||The Herndon Kid - 12|
|10||Potomac Fan - 10|
Nationals now 32-36.