• Tonight's Top 5:
5. All With Two-Outs: Ian Desmond's awarded a double, which he earns by hustling out of the box, but it's only a hit because D-Backs' second baseman Kelly Johnson drops the pop to short right when he overruns it trying to make an over-the-shoulder catch with Arizona right fielder Justin Upton nowhere in sight. Desmond scores the Nats' first run on a Michael Morse RBI single to center. Morse extends his hit streak with a hit in 11-straight. Danny Espinosa follows with a single and Wilson Ramos hits a double off the center field wall some 407+ feet from home. 3-0 Nationals before AZ lefty Zack Duke is out of the first. 23 pitches for Duke in the first, 17 strikes. Jordan Zimmermann gives up a one-out walk, but that's it, 20 pitches, 12 strikes in a scoreless opening frame in Arizona...
4. Zim(n)'s Curve: After retiring the first six batters he faces, Jordan Zimmermann gets behind Gerardo Parra 2-0 and gives up a leadoff double on a high fastball to the D-Backs' left fielder. Zack Duke gets an aesthetically pleasing sac bunt down to move the runner to third, but Parra's out there on a sharp grounder by Ryan Roberts that Jerry Hairston Jr. stabs before tagging the befuddled and frozen runner. Two down. Jordan Zimmmermann drops a 2-2 curve inside on Kelly Johnson and gets a swinging K to end his third scoreless frame. Justin Upton starts the Arizona fourth with a sharp single by third and into left. Zimmermann drops another two-strike curve, this time on Stephen Drew, same result, swinging K. A 6-4-3 DP follows, Ian Desmond to Danny Espinosa and on to Morse at first. 4.0 scoreless by the Nats' right-hander.
3.MOAR MORSE!!: Michael Morse is 3 for 3 after a one-out single through short into center in the Nats' fifth. Danny Espinosa follows with a line drive single to right-center on a 2-2 fastball from Zack Duke. Morse goes first-to-third™ and scores on an RBI groundout by Wilson Ramos when the D-Backs can't turn the double play. 4-0 Nationals. Danny Espinosa dives to rob Miguel Montero on a sharp grounder with eyes for center in the D-Backs' 5th. (Webgem no.3 on ESPN's Baseball Tonight.) Xavier Nady grounds out. Zimmermann gives up back-to-back two-out singles to Gerardo Parra and pinch hitter Sean Burroughs, but gets a fly to right from Ryan Roberts for his fifth scoreless frame.
2. "The Arm": Rick "The Arm" Ankiel fields a fly ball off the wall in left-center. The Nats' center fielder's a step in on the grass when he unleashes a perfect throw to second that arrives just a moment to late. Double for Montero, unbelievable throw by Ankiel, be a surprise if he didn't do it all the time. Leadoff double by the D-Backs' catcher, and he scores Arizona's first run off Jordan Zimmermann two outs later. Sac bunt and a sac fly and it's 4-1 Nationals after seven innings. Zimmermann's done after 7.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K's, 97 pitches, 66 strikes, 9 groundouts, 5 flyouts.
1. [Coffey Sprints To Mound]: Nats' right-hander Todd Coffey sprints out to start the bottom of the 8th. One pitch to Ryan Roberts and a leadoff single later, Coffey's done for the night. Sean Burnett strikes Kelly Johnson out, but hits Justin Upton in the elbow to put two on with one out. A 1-2 sinker gets Stephen Drew looking for out no.2, and the Nationals turn to the Flat-Brimmed closer Drew Storen for the four-out save. One pitch, one out. Chris Young flies to right field to end the Arizona eighth...Top of the ninth. Aaron Heilman walks Brian Bixler, who scores on a Shark triple. 5-1 Nats. Michael Morse collects his fourth hit and his second RBI, singling to center to score Bernadina from third, 6-1 Nationals, and Drew Storen gets outs no.'s 2-3-4 for his 11th save of the season. The Nats win their third straight. 6-1 final...and they knock the D-Backs out of first in the West...
• Miss The Game? The DC Faithful Were Up Late Watching...
|Num||Name - Comments|
|1||Doghouse - 92|
|2||RobBobS - 91|
|3||Whupass - 77|
|4||Jeff T - 74|
|5||MissB - 62|
|6||FanSince05 - 44|
|7||Doncosmic - 43|
|8||rachel216 - 38|
|9||d_c_guy - 25|
|10||cookielover - 23|
• Doghouse's Post Game WPA Graph: "Game 56: Welcome back, Double-N":
- Glad to be back: Jordan Zimmermann (+29.1% pitching, +2.2% hitting) throws 7 solid innings, fanning 4 with 1 walk and 1 ER. He's also 2-3 with a pair of singles.
- Key hit: Wilson Ramos (+13.9%) has the right bat at the right time, doubling in 2 runs to put the Nats up by 3 in the first (+15.8%).
- MOARSE CRUSH LEFTY: Michael Morse (+11.1%) is 4-5 with 2 RBI.
- MOAR SHARK+NIX! Rick Ankiel (-5.2%) is 0-4 with 2 Ks.
Nationals now 25-31.