• Livan? Winless At PETCO?: Tonight's Nats' starter Livan Hernandez has never won a game in PETCO Park, (0-5) with a 5.44 ERA in 8 starts at the San Diego Padres' home park. The right-hander is winless in his last seven starts, going back to April 28th's 4-3 win over the New York Mets. The Nats are 0-7 over that same stretch with Mr. National on the mound. In 4 of those seven starts, and five starts this season, the Nationals have provided Livan with no run support, getting shut out by the Braves, Marlins (twice), the Mets, and in his last start, the D-Backs...
• The positives?: Jayson Werth is back in the lineup (for now at least, as of 6:30), seemingly recovered from the ankle injury he suffered when he tripped over the bullpen mounds in foul territory in right field in San Francisco. Werth also missed a game after getting hit by D-Backs' reliever Aaron Heilman earlier in the current road trip. Danny Espinosa's apparently fine too after getting hit on the wrist/hand/bat for the last out of yesterday's game with the Giants. Espinosa's in the starting lineup tonight.
• More positives?: Some #'s from the Nats pre-game notes: Washington starters, in the last nine games, have a 1.95 ERA (12 ER/55.1 IP). The Nats' 33 errors this season, in 62 games, are 23 fewer than they had at this point last season...and according to the Nats, the 9 errors in May, "were the fewest recorded in a single calendar month in the franchise's 42 seasons." Then the Nats' get jinxy...I won't even mention one streak they do, but Michael Morse, (though he didn't get a to a few balls he might have the last few years) has not made an error in a major league game since 2005. 195 games and counting...[ducks under thrown JINX FAQ].
• Don't run on the Nats: The Nats' 44% CS% (17 of 39) from Pudge and Wilson Ramos leads the Majors.
• The bad, but expected news?: According to Washington Post writer Adam Kilgore, in an article this afternoon entitled, "LaRoche still uncertain about return from shoulder injury", the Nats' first baseman started throwing this week after two weeks of rest, and there was no improvement. Asked for his own prognosis of whether he's headed for surgery and likely done for the year, LaRoche said, "'Flip a coin, buddy...Don’t know.'"
• Something Old: MLBTraderumors.com conducted an interview with the Nats' 2011 1st Round pick Anthony Rendon back in January and reposted it on Twitter today.
• Something New: Padres to call up star 1B prospect Anthony Rizzo - ESPN: "Anthony Rizzo tore up the Pacific Coast League to the point that the San Diego Padres figured they had no choice but to call him up.
Tore up = .365/.444/.715, 16 HR's, 63 RBIs in 52 games, 232 PA.
• 10:05 pm EDT tonight from San Diego. Livan vs Harang.