WASHINGTON, DC - JULY 03: Starting pitcher Jason Marquis #21 of the Washington Nationals reacts before pulled in the second inning against the Pittsburgh Pirates at Nationals Park on July 3, 2011 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images)
• Today's Top 5:
5. Everything's Up: This one doesn't start well, with a flare to left by Alex Presly dropping in for a single. It looks like it might turn around when Jason Marquis gets a grounder back to mound from the second Pirate up, Chase d'Arnaud, but Marquis' throw is low and it goes right through Danny Espinosa and into center. Presly takes third on the throwing error and scores one unproductive out later on an Andrew McCutchen RBI single. McCutchen, Neil Walker and Lyle Overbay connect for three-straight singles off the Nats' starter, who's leaving everything up early and getting hit hard. 3-0 Pirates after the top of the first, and it takes Marquis 22 pitches to get through the inning. Ryan Zimmerman singles up the middle with two down to keep the Nats' first alive, and Matt Stairs legs out a chopper that bounces over the mound for an infield single. Two on, two out. Jayson Werth...swinging K. Werth's 5th K in 13 at bats this series...3-0 Pirates after one...
4. Quick Day's Work: Jason Marquis is not fooling anyone this afternoon. The PIrates strike again in the second, singling the Nats' starter to death with the opposing pitcher, Kevin Correia and one out later Chase d'Arnaud collecting singles no. 5 and 6 for the first 11 Pirates' batters before Garret Jones breaks up the monotony with a two-run double, which is, of course, followed by an RBI double by Andrew McCutchen. 5 and 6-0 Pirates. Garret Jones scores on the double by McCutchen, and McCutchen scores on a single by Neil Walker. This one's off Collin Balester though, Marquis is done after just 1.1 IP, 8 hits (from 13 batters) 7 runs, 6 earned...Balester gives up another RBI double, and the Pirates go up 8-0 before the Nationals get the third out of the Pittsburgh second.
3. RHINO!: Wilson Ramos gets the Nationals on the board with a two-run HR to left-center off Pirates' right-hander Kevin Correia in the bottom of the second. Ramos crushes a 1-0 fastball for his seventh HR this season. 8-2 game with Rick Ankiel scoring on Ramos' blast after a shift-beating leadoff single to start the frame. Roger Bernadina doubles with two down, but he's stranded when Danny Espinosa's groundout ends the second. Ramos doubles to right field in the Nats' fourth, but he's stranded at third three outs later. Collin Balester, who replaced Marquis in the second, throws three scoreless to hold it at 8-2 through five. 5 K's, 42 pitches after a scoreless fifth. Balester gives up a one-out walk and a single to Andrew McCutchen before he's lifted in the 5th. An RBI single off Balester's replacement, Henry Rodriguez, and a bases loaded walk by the lightning-armed reliever make it 10-2 Pirates after five and a half in the nation's capital.
2. STOP HITTING THE NATIONALS!!!: Jerry Hairston's on the DL with a fractured wrist, Michael Morse is sitting today with a grapefruit growing out of his arm, and now Jayson Werth leaves the game after getting hit by Kevin Correia in the Nats' 6th. Might have more to do with the score, Werth's struggles or Werth's angry reaction as the frustrated Nats' outfielder slams his bat down in disgust after the HBP. Werth's lifted, Brian Bixler runs for him, but Bixler's stranded at first three outs later, as the Nats go down in order in the sixth, the fourth scoreless frame following Ramos' HR.
1. NEVER GIVE UP!!: Ramos' opposite field double to right field to in the fourth, is one of only two hits, along with Roger Bernadina's double in the second, that the Nats get off Correia through six. Ryan ZImmerman walks to start the third, Jayson Werth reaches on the HBP in the sixth, but the next Nats' runner to hit his way on is Alex Cora, who doubles in a pinch hit appearance in the seventh. Ryan Zimmerman walks again with two down after Cora's leadoff hit, and Zim's 1 for 2 with two walks on the day. Both Cora and Zimmerman are stranded, however, when Laynce Nix flies out to end the Nats' 7th. The Nats go down in order in the 8th, and in the ninth and they go down in ord...Roger Bernadina singles to center with two down. The Shark's running when Danny Espinosa singl--, no, he's hustling and he doubles up the middle with two down. First and third, two runners on for pinch hitting Pudge Rodriguez. Pudge sends a low liner to right, and it's caught. Caught. Garret Jones makes a diving play to end the game. 10-2 Pirates.
• Miss The Game? The DC Faithful Were Watching...
|Num||Name - Comments|
|1||d_c_guy - 56|
|2||Doghouse - 50|
|3||Whupass - 42|
|4||MissB - 41|
|5||cat daddy3000 - 38|
|6||Jeff T - 36|
|7||kingfishfarms - 34|
|8||cookielover - 24|
|9||Dan Shields - 13|
|10||Potomac Fan - 7|
Nationals now 42-43.