Apr 12, 2012; Washington, DC, USA; Washington Nationals starting pitcher Gio Gonzalez (47) pitches in the third inning against the Cincinnati Reds at Nationals Park. Mandatory Credit: James Lang-US PRESSWIRE
The last time Washington Nationals' manager Davey Johnson went with a right-hand heavy lineup to face Pittsburgh Pirates' lefty Erik Bedard, a week ago today in PNC Park, the 33-year-old Bucs' starter left the game after an inning, and a parade of right-handed relievers took over and combined to hold the Nats' bats to two runs on five hits in a 4-2 Pirates' win. Bedard's expected to be back on the mound tonight in Nationals Park for the first game of a quick two-game set in the nation's capital and the Nats' 69-year-old skipper is going with essentially the same lineup he put out there last week, minus catcher Wilson Ramos, of course, who's replaced behind the plate and batting eighth by Jesus Flores.
• Here's tonight's starting lineup for the Washington Nationals:
#Nats Lineup, 5/16: Desmond SS, Harper CF, Zimmerman 3B, LaRoche 1B, Nady RF, Espinosa 2B, Moore LF, Flores C, Gonzalez LHP— Washington Nationals (@Nationals) May 16, 2012
• There were also some injury updates today, from Nationals Park and from D.C. GM Mike Rizzo this morning on 106.7 the FAN in D.C.'s the Mike Rizzo Show...
• Mike Rizzo On Morse and Storen from the Mike Rizzo Show:
• Morse back by June 8th for Interleague play?: "I think that's our plan that we've talked about, get him in there at least at those American League parks where we can use him strictly as a DH. That will give him another week of his throwing program, and we can utilize his bat, so I think we're targeting some time at the end of June for Michael."
• Drew Storen?: "Drew Storen is beginning his throwing program. We're still going to be cautious and careful with him, but he's coming along. He feels really good. He's starting to do some flat ground work now. He's long tossing. So he's on the way [to] getting healthy and returning to helping the club in the big leagues soon."
• Brad Lidge: "Brad Lidge ran and threw also with Storen and Morse for the first time three days ago, so he's starting his progression to throwing off the mound, and again, he doesn't have an arm injury so he may be a little bit quicker than the other guys. And the tear that he had is not on his pull side of his body, for a right-handed pitcher, so that will aid us in his progression also."
Game time 7:05 pm EDT. Gio vs Bedard. Go Nats Go!
• Listen to 106.7 the FAN in D.C.'s The Mike Rizzo Show With Holden Kushner And Danny Rouhier:
• More Updated Updates:
Michael Morse said he made 60 throws today. Said it felt fine. "I haven't been throwing, so it was kind of like a monkey riding a bike."— Amanda Comak (@acomak) May 16, 2012
Drew Storen threw 100 tosses off flat ground. Said it felt like trying to drive a Ferari 5mph. Will probably head to Viera somewhat soon— Dan Kolko (@masnKolko) May 16, 2012
Wilson Ramos back at Nats Park today. Won't have surgery for 2-3 weeks. Says no chance of returning this year.— Mark Zuckerman (@MarkZuckerman) May 16, 2012