Jul 19, 2012; Washington, DC, USA; Washington Nationals starting pitcher Gio Gonzalez (47) throws in the first inning against the New York Mets at Nationals Park. Mandatory Credit: Brad Mills-US PRESSWIRE
• A few quick notes from Davey Johnson's post game press conference following the Nats' 9-5 loss to the NY Mets:
• Davey Johnson on Gio Gonzalez, who gave up 6 H, 6 R, 2 HR, threw 68 P in 3.1 IP: "It was one of those days. He didn't have too much. Didn't have too much command. A lot of things weren't going for him. Just one of those days. One out of a hundred. He's been outstanding."
• Davey on Drew Storen's return to the mound in D.C.: "I thought he was a little rusty, but he threw strikes. They certainly weren't centering on him. I was real pleased with the way he got a chance and he went 1-2-3. I was figuring he was going to throw a bunch of pitches first time out. But that was good."
• Davey on when Ian Desmond might return to the lineup: "Tomorrow. Today was a trial run. I told him about six hitters away, 'Go down there and check it out. Don't swing too hard. It's the perfect situation, down 9-1,' and I said, 'Relax,' and he goes up and hits a bullet and gets hit."
• Davey on pulling Gio Gonzalez early: "Obviously I'm not going to let him get beat up. I had the guys. [Stammen] hadn't pitched in four days. I figured I could get three or four innings out of him. Other than the rough start, [Stammen] pitched great."
• Davey Johnson on Rick Ankiel being DFA'd before today's game: "With the maturation process of some of the young players, [Bryce] Harper in particular, playing every day, [Michael] Morse coming back, [Steve Lombardozzi] doing a good job leading off and [Jayson] Werth... looks pretty good to me, he's getting close... it felt like... and I've got a left-handed bat down in Triple-A that can do some of things that Rick [can]... maybe not as good a defender, but maybe a better hitter in Corey Brown. But to have to replace a guy in my bullpen with some people I've got down there. No, I don't have it. So, it was a tough choice, but it was the right choice."
• Davey on upcoming series with the Braves: "Their pitching is not going to be set up to go against us like it was a huge series. Gio [is going to miss that series]... [Tim] Hudson is going to miss it for them. But I think we match up pretty good. I like our starters." [Note: "Davey said John Lannan will be called back up to start the second game of Saturday's doubleheader with Edwin Jackson pitching the 1:00 pm EDT game."]
• More Davey on Gio: "Command is the big key for him. It was one of those days I don't think he had his best stuff either. Talking to [Jesus Flores] he said, 'No, he's missing,' and wasn't real sharp. Maybe it's this nice cool air in D.C., I don't know."
• Davey on Gio's early exit: "He'd thrown close to 80 pitches, and obviously I see a guy that is having trouble, I'm not going to let him stay out there just to save my bullpen. I'm going to save him. He gave me that evil stare like, 'What am I doing out there?'"