- Harper's bat has seemed a bit weak of late, until Friday night. Perhaps it is significant that this was after a much needed off day, and not just a sitting-on-the-bench day. Of late I detect that the ball was not jumping off his bat as before and balls that earlier might have carried the distance were falling short of the warning track. I am suggesting that he may perform better with an off day about twice a week, esp. against soft throwing lefthanders. This would get either Moore, Lombo., or Bernie into the game more. After all, this is a very long season for someone of his limited professional experience. That would work for me since I think the overall effect of this sort of change would help the team. What do you all think?
- I continue to be amazed at Michael Morse. As some of you may know I have championed his cause well before his hitting talent became obvious in late 2010. He has had more than a few doubters and naysayers along the way. I assert that he is among the few to proclaim as part of the heart and soul of the Nationals on the field, in the dugout, and in the clubhouse. Underestimating him will continue to be misplaced judgment and trading him, no matter how logical, will come back to haunt the Nationals.
- If Bernadina is truly having a breakout season then clearly some hard decisions need to be made next season. All the choices are tough ones to make. The player I would eliminate on the playing roster would have to be LaRoche. Morse would go to 1B and the starting outfield would be Bernie., Werth, and Harper. Moore and Lombo. would fill in to rest the other starters and be available for the inevitable injuries.
- The effort for signing free agents in the off season should be limited to pitching only, the position roster is just fine.
- I cannot let a post go by without at least one prediction. Here I will predict that Storen is going to be back to normal starting with his next appearance, or at worst, one appearance past the next one. Down the September stretch, and in the playoffs, he will be valuable again.
I know some or all of these have probably been discussed a bit already, but I welcome comments and opinions on each of them.