- Without missing a step: John Lannan (+29.9%) goes 5.2 IP with 2 Ks and a walk, leaving 2 on but escaping with no ER.
- A bit of offense: Ryan Zimmerman (+18.8%) hits a 4th-inning solo shot to put the Nats up in the 4th (+13.0%).
- Harrowing: Christian Garcia (+7.6%) hits a batter to load 'em up after coming in to clean up Lannan's two-on jam, but gets the last out to keep any runs from scoring to earn a shutdown.
- Insurance? No, thanks: After failing to score with the bases-loaded and no outs in the 6th (-21.5%), the Nats also don't score with bases-loaded and one out in the 7th when Adam LaRoche (-12.9%) hits into an inning-ending GDP (-15.0%).
- Steady: Craig Stammen (+10.6%) shuts 'em down with a scoreless 7th.
- No RISP? No problem! Ian Desmond (+15.6%) cranks a solo bomb to deep LF for an extra run in the 8th (+12.8%).
- Eh, who needs runs, anyway: Ryan Mattheus (+8.4%) shuts 'em down with a scoreless 8th, helped by a sparkling Desi-Lombo-LaRoche DP (+14.6%). Drew Storen (+9.3%) comes on to get the last out of the game, dissolving a runners-corners jam.