Via Fangraphs (click to embiggen)
- Not building on recent success: Dan Haren (
-33.5%-41.5%) strikes out 5 and walks 2 in 5 IP, but gives up 3 ER in the first, then 4 more in the 5th after the Nats threatened to catch up. Way to put it away!
- Something good: Ryan Zimmerman (
+12.0%+10.2%) is 2-4 with a two-run bomb to get the Nats within 1 in the 4th (+16.2%).
- Okay, more good stuff: Adam LaRoche (+0.8%) extends his hit streak with a two-RBI hit to get the Nats within 2 in the 6th (+6.9%), while Steve Lombardozzi
(+8.3%+7.3%) is 3-5 with a double and 2 runs scored.
- Back to the horrible: Ryan Mattheus (
-9.6%-4.7%) melts down to the tune of 5 ER in the 7th (with no Ks and 2 BBs), putting the game back out of reach.
- To end on a positive note: Henry Rodriguez (
-0.9%+0.4%) throws a scoreless 6th, working around a walk, an ROE, 3 SB allowed, and a WP! He still gets negative WPA for some reason, perhaps for pure baseball aesthetics. (It was a hiccup by the WPA hamsters--updated with corrected values.)
- Nope, more bad: Danny Espinosa (
-6.1%-7.0%) and Tyler Moore ( -10.1%-7.5%) go 0-8 with 3 LOB. Drew Storen (-0.0%) gives up an HR and a HBP in his aeyth inning side session.
(Update: The WPA hamsters were apparently dazed by lack of pure baseball aesthetics in this game and spit out a bunch of incorrect numbers. Numbers and graph amended accordingly.)