Via Fangraphs (click to embiggen)
- Pitcher wins are a stupid stat: Stephen Strasburg (+26.6%) gives up 1 ER on 12 Ks and no walks over 8 IP. LOSER!
- The lone positives: Steve Lombardozzi (+5.6%) is tonight's hitting WPA leader, with an aeyth-inning single (+9.9%). Ryan Zimmerman (+0.7%) is the other Nat above zero, going 1-3 with a walk.
- (Frustratingly) routine meltdown: Drew Storen (-8.3%) gives up an insurance run for the other side in the 9th, because scoring one run isn't challenging enough for the Nats.
- Not helping: Fernando Abad (-5.6%) doesn't get a meltdown when he gives up two inherited runners in the 9th because there wasn't enough WPA left to lose, even though they turn out to be the losing runs.
- Villainy: The worst offenders on "offense" tonight were Anthony Rendon (-13.7%), Adam LaRoche (-14.5%), Scott Hairston (-10.0%), and Denard Span (-15.4%) who hit into a game-ending "double" play where the "tag" missed by about six inches.
- Stat padder: Jayson Werth (-3.5%) can't get into positive WPA with a two-run dinger to get the Nats on the board in the 9th (+4.7%).