Via Fangraphs (click to embiggen)
- An out away: Stephen Strasburg (-15.9% pitching, +6.3% hitting) cruises for 8 innings, with 1 ER, 8 Ks and 2 BBs, but can only get 2 outs in the 9th before giving up 3 ER to tie the game. He's 2-4 at the plate, with a 2nd-inning RBI single to tack on (+6.8%).
- No baserunners: Ryan Zimmerman (+15.1%) is 3-6 with a first-inning solo shot for the early lead.
- L'il Scrapper = L'il Slugger: Steve Lombardozzi (+0.9%) is 2-5 with a double and his first HR of the year (+4.5%). Unfortunately, he flies out to leave the tying run on 2nd in the 10th (-10.2%).
- Reliably reliable: Tyler Clippard (+13.0%) has a 1-2-3 10th with 2 Ks to keep it tied and earn a shutdown.
- WPA undervalues catcher defense: Wilson Ramos (-4.3%) is 0-4, but he throws out Castro trying to steal--twice (+2.2% and +4.7%, although Stras gets the credit for it).
- Long man: Craig Stammen (+26.7%) walks one and fans one over two innings in extra, but keeps it tied for another monster shutdown.
- Small ball: Denard Span (+7.7%) atones for a 10th-inning RISP fail (-9.1%) by doubling to lead off the 13th (+17.2%). Lombo bunts him to 3rd (+0.2%), and Chad Tracy (+14.0%) has a PH dribbler that's just weak enough for Span to score the go-ahead run against the drawn-in infield.
- Closer: Drew Storen (+19.4%)
sets 'em down in orderfaces the minimum in the 13th sealing the win on the rarely-seen 1-4-6-3 DP to earn a shutdown.