The #Nats have agreed to terms with RHP Clay Hensley on a Minor League contract with an invitation to Major League Spring Training.— Washington Nationals (@Nationals) January 21, 2014
Hensley last pitched in the majors in 2012 with the San Francisco Giants, who originally drafted the 5'11'' right-hander in the 8th Round of the 2002 Draft. The Giants traded Hensley to the San Diego Padres a year later (2003) and he debuted in the majors in 2005. In four seasons with the Padres, Hensley was (15-18) with a 4.09 ERA, 150 walks (4.17 BB/9) and 206 Ks (5.73 K/9) in 323 2/3 IP.
FBB's Recommended Reading:
Hensley spent two years with the Florida Marlins in 2010-11 before returning to the Giants for the 2012 campaign and going (4-5) with three saves, a 4.62 ERA, 4.67 FIP, 30 walks (5.33 BB/9) and 42 Ks (7.46 K/9) in 50 2/3 IP.
Hensley spent the 2013 in the minors, playing independent ball and pitching for the Cincinnati Reds and Milwaukee Brewers' Triple-A affiliates, putting up a (2-1) record with a 2.57 ERA, 19 walks (4.89 BB/9) and 38 Ks (9.77 K/9) in 35 IP out of the bullpen.
- Washington Nationals' GM Mike Rizzo On Rumors Of Interest In Grant Balfour
- Nationals Rumors: Nats Still In Market For Relief Help? Bench Bat?
- Nationals Rumors: What Should We Make Of The Grant Balfour Chatter?
- Nationals Rumors: Nats Interested In Grant Balfour + Bench Bat Chatter
- Nationals Reportedly Showing Interest In Grant Balfour