In just his second MLB season, 24-year-old San Francisco right-hander Tim Lincecum was able to claim his first Cy Young award following a 2008 campaign that saw the '06 1st Round pick, taken 10th overall by the Giants, post an (18-5) record with a 2.62 ERA in 33 starts and 1 relief appearance over which the 5'11'' Bay Area ace K'd 265 (10.5 K/9) walked 84 (3.3 BB/9) and posted a 1.17 WHIP. The SBN writers voted for Lincecum last year as well, though they disagreed with the BBWAA when it came to the order of the second and third-place finishers in the Cy Young award race, with the Baseball Writers voting for Arizona's Brandon Webb and then the Mets' Johan Santana, while the SBNers chose Lincecum, Santana and Webb...the BBWAA Cy Young will be handed out later this November, the SB Nation 2009 Cy Young Award winner is just a click away...but as with the previous two awards, vote for your 2009 Cy Young winner before clicking through...
|1||Tim Lincecum||San Francisco Giants||18||13||-||129|
|2||Chris Carpenter||St. Louis Cardinals||9||4||7||64|
|3||Adam Wainwright||St. Louis Cardinals||4||4||10||42|
|4||Javier Vazquez||Atlanta Braves||-||5||7||22|
|5||Dan Haren||Arizona Diamondbacks||-||3||4||13|
|6||Ubaldo Jimenez||Colorado Rockies||-||1||1||4|
|7||Cliff Lee||Philadelphia Phillies||-||-||1||1|
|8||Jair Jurrjens||Atlanta Braves||-||-||1||1|
• Lincecum was only able to win 15 games in 2009, going (15-7) though he lowered his ERA a little to just 2.48 after 32 starts and 225.1 IP over which the right-hander gave up 69 runs, 62 earned, 10 HR's (0.4 HR/9) and 68 BB's (2.7 K/9), while recording 261 K's, (10.4 K/9) and posting a 1.05 WHIP. Is a second Cy Young going to the 25-year-old San Francisco starter?
• The St. Louis Cardinals' starters, Chris Carpenter, who finished the '09 campaign (17-4) with a 2.24 ERA in 28 starts and 192.2 IP and his fellow Cards' starter Adam Wainwright (19-8, 2.63), who made 34 starts and struck out 212 in 233.0 IP where the only other starters to receive first-place votes, but they finished a distant-second to Lincecum.
?'s For The DC Faithful:
• Anyone deserve to be on that list that isn't?
• How do you convince the Nationals to make a run at Lee? If Lee comes to DC do the Expos/Nationals get Grady Sizemore and Brandon Phillips back to to finally make up for that disappointing trade?
• How long before the Nationals have a starter getting Cy-Young-attention? Will Strasburg defy the odds?
• So Lincecum again in '09 right?