• (ed. note - "Anthony Masterson, (Broadcast/Media Assistant with the Class-A Carolina League's Potomac Nationals), usually sends along "an audio recap of the P-Nats' week", but this time he surprised me with an interview with the Washington Nationals' Top 1st Base Prospect (according to Baseball America), Chris Marrero.")
AUDIO: Potomac Nationals Weekly Update. Chris Marrero Interview by Anthony Masterson. (Length: 4:14)
• Chris Marrero, the Nationals' 1st Round pick, 16th overall in 2006, was drafted out of high school in Miami, Florida as a third baseman and immediately moved to the OF for the obvious reasons, (Zimmerman?). Marrero started his professional career by hitting .309 with 9 doubles and 16 RBI's in his first 22 games with the Rookie level Gulf Coast Nationals. Marrero's first full season was split between the Nationals' two Class-A affiliates in Hagerstown and Potomac, where the then-18-year-old right-hander hit .275 with 25 doubles, 3 triples, 23 HR's and 88 RBI's combined in 125 games and 477 AB's in 2007. Marrero's 2008 season, which saw him moved to first base, was cut short by a broken right tibula and injuries to his ankle sustained in a play at the plate in mid-June. 70 games into the '08 season, Marrero had collected 15 doubles, 2 triples, 11 HR's and 38 RBI's.
• So far in 2009, Marrero, now 20, is hitting .282 with a .340 OBP, .440 SLG, and a .781 OPS, having collected 12 doubles, 1 triple, 11 HR's and 42 RBI's in 68 games and 259 AB's. As Mr. Masterson notes in the interview, Marrero's hitting .386 with a .446 OBP in 101 AB's against left-handed pitchers. Against right-handers, the P-Nats' first baseman's hitting just .215 with a .272 OBP, though he still has 6 doubles, 4 HR's and 20 RBI's.
• The Latest Update: According to Mr. Masterson, Marrero went 2 for 3 with 2 HR's and 5 RBI's Sunday night in a 13-10 loss to the Winston Salem Dash. Marrero's got 9 HR's so far in his '09 campaign, with a team-leading 42 RBI's. Check out the post game article by Anthony Masterson entitled, "Bullpen Falters As Dash Rallies Late", at the P-Nats' official site.
Chris Marrero Links After The Jump...• Nationals draft pair of preps | nationals.com: News - MLB.com's Bill Ladson
The Nationals had two first-round picks and they went the high school route, selecting third baseman Chris Marrero with the 15th pick and right-hander Colton Willems with the 22nd pick Tuesday in the First-Year Player Draft.
• So far, very good for Nationals | nationals.com: News MLB.com's Bill Ladson
The Nationals had two first-round picks and selected third baseman Chris Marrero with the 15th pick and right-hander Colton Willems with the 22nd selection, while Sean Black, Stephen Englund, shortstop Stephen King and left-hander Glenn Gibson were the team's next four picks.
• Notes: Nats offer Marrero advice | nationals.com: News - MLB.com's Bill Ladson
It's been a little over 24 hours since Washington made outfielder Chris Marrero its first pick in the 2006 First-Year Player Draft. That feeling is a familiar one around the Nationals' clubhouse, as the team's last three No. 1 picks are currently contributing to the parent club.
• Top prospect out for season after leg injury - Washington Times
The injury woes that have plagued the Washington Nationals' top position players this season have now hit the organization's top minor league prospect.
• Nats' Top Prospect Has Major Potential - washingtonpost.com - Dave Sheinin
This is your source for info on Washington Nationals baseball. Learn about DC baseball at the RFK stadium. Get the latest schedule and stats for the Washington Nationals. Stay updated on the latest Washington Nationals news!
• Search results for "Chris Marrero" - Federal Baseball
All The Links To Chris Marrero A Federal Baseball Search Provides.