Today's Top 5:
5. The Hawk: At about the same time the Nats and Brewers were beginning play in Milwaukee, in Cooperstown, NY, the Montreal Expos' Andre Dawson was being inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. The Hawk, who played 11 of his 21 seasons in Montreal, appeared on nine ballots for the Hall before he was elected last winter. The decision to enter into the hallowed halls wearing an Expos cap wasn't his, he'd said in some publications that he would have preferred to have been immortalized as a Cub, but he'll always be an Expo. Congrats, Hawk.
4. 44 Pitch First: The Nationals were originally planning on limiting their '07 1st Round pick, pitcher Ross Detwiler, to around 5.0 innings of work in his 2010 debut after Spring surgery to repair a torn labrum in his hip and 7 minor league rehab starts, but after abusing the bullpen last night, the reports before the game said that he'd have a longer leash. Detwiler uses about half of the pitches he was expected to throw in the first, however, allowing two runs to cross after a one-out error (E: 79: Fielding Error On Willie Harris) and back-to-back two-out walks load the bases and a single and wild pitch make it 2-0 before Joe Inglett leaves the bases loaded when he flies to Nyjer Morgan in center to finally end an extremely long bottom of the first. 2-0 Milwaukee. 8 Batters faced, 44 pitches, 22 strikes. K, E, FO, BB, BB, RBI Single, IBB, WP, FO...
3. 5 R, 0 ER: Ross Detwiler retires the Brewers in order in the second and third, then gives up a leadoff single to Jonathan Lucroy in the fourth, but has two down and gets the groundout to short for the final ou--- Ian Desmond drops a grounder from the opposing pitcher Dave Bush and then rushes a throw that gets by Adam Dunn for Desmond's 23rd error of the year, and the Nats' league-leading 80th error of 2010. Lucroy scores on the error two outs after the leadoff single. 3-0 Milwaukee. Rickie Weeks up next, and two pitches after the error Weeks gets hold of a hanging slider from Detwiler and launches it to left. 5-0 Brewers.
2. McGehee Kills Comeback: The Nats get back-to-back singles to start the sixth by Michael Morse and Nyjer Morgan and a one-out sac fly by Josh Willingham scores Morse from third before Adam Dunn's two-out single drives Morgan in. 5-2 Brewers. Nyjer Morgan singles in Adam Kennedy in the seventh to get the Nats within two at 5-3, but Alcides Escobar triples to start the Milwaukee seventh and after a one-out intentional walk, Joel Peralta gives up a 3-run bomb to Casey McGehee that puts the game out of reach at 8-3 Milwaukee.
1. Nats Swept: For the fifth time this season, the Washington Nationals are swept. Milwaukee wins all three in Miller Park after having dropped two of the three games the two teams played in Nationals Park back in mid-April. The Nats are now 17-36 on the road in 2010. They have a league-leading 80 errors, having reclaimed the no.1 overall spot after the Marlins had momentarily tied them in defensive ineptitude. The Nats are now 16-31 after ending may 26-26.
• Miss The Game? The DC Faithful Were Watching...
|Num||Name - Comments:|
|1||plebescite - 79|
|2||ajk9hy - 75|
|3||rachel216 - 63|
|4||Doncosmic - 40|
|5||RobBobS - 36|
|6||RoscoeNats - 36|
|7||MissB - 34|
|8||TJL - 26|
|9||grizzy - 16|
• Final Score: Brewers 8, Nats 3.
Nationals now 42-57.
FULL GAME REPORT:
1 - Nyjer Morgan flies out to Carlos Gomez in center. Brewers' right-hander Dave Bush gets Willie Harris looking with an 1-2 heater inside that's called strike three. Josh Willingham gets a 3-1 fastball from Bush and he lines it to left, sliding in in front of Ryan Braun's throw to second with a double. Adam Dunn K's swinging at a change after a long 9-pitch at bat against Bush...Ross Detwiler gets Rickie Weeks swinging at a full-count change outside. One down. Alcides Escobar reaches first safely on an error on a sharp grounder to Willie Harris at third. Ryan Braun pops out to second, two down. Prince FIelder walks to put two on and Casey McGehee's free pass loads the bases for Jonathan Lucroy. Lucroy sends a single through second to score Escobar, 1-0 Milwaukee. Wild Pitch lets Fielder in. 2-0 Brewers. Carlos Gomez gets the intentionals. Joe Inglett works the count full and flies out to center to leave the bases loaded.
2 - Roger Bernadina K's looking to start the Nats' second and Pudge Rodriguez pops out to McGehee at third. Two down when Adam Kennedy reaches on an error on a grounder to Rickie Weeks at second. Ian Desmond grounds to short and Alcides Escobar's throw to first ends the inning...Dave Bush pops out to Ian Desmond in back of second. One down. RIckie Weeks K's looking at a two-strike fastball inside. Alcides Escobar flies out to right to end the second.
3 - Bush gets Detwiler to line out to first, gets a fly ball to center from Nyjer Morgan and strikes out Willie Harris to end a quick scoreless third...Willie Harris fields a sharp grounder from Ryan Braun. Detwiler gets a groundout to first from Prince Fielder. Two down. Casey McGehee grounds out to third, and Detwiler matches Bush's quick frame. Still 2-0 Milwaukee.
4 - Josh Willingham pops out to first base where Prince Fielder makes the grab. Adam Dunn K's swinging for the second out of the inning. Roger Bernadina pops out to Alcides Escobar at short to end another quick top of a frame...Jonathan Lucroy singles to left to start the Brewers' fourth. Carlos Gomez goes down chasing a curve. Joe Inglett K's looking at a two-strike curve from Detwiler. Ian Desmond drops a grounder from the opposing pitcher, who takes second when Desmond rushes and throws it by first. Lucroy scores, 3-0 Brewers. E: 80. Rickie Weeks gets hold of a hanging slider from Detwiler and it ends up going out to left for a two-run blast and a 5-0 Brewers' lead. Miguel Batista replaces Detwiler against Alcides Escobar. Pop out to first to end the fourth.
5 - Adam Kennedy K's swinging to start the Nats' fifth. One down. Adam Kennedy K's swinging for the second out and Ian Desmond K's swinging at a 1-2 curve to end the Nats' fifth...Miguel Batista gets a fly ball to right for Mike Morse. Prince Fielder grounds out to Willie Harris at third. Casey McGehee bounces a two-out double off the left field wall that Willingham plays on a hop. Jonathan Lucroy grounds to short, and Ian Desmond makes a clean play to end the fifth.
6 - Michael Morse singles by third for a leadoff hit after he'd entered the game on the double switch an inning back. Nyjer Morgan sends a single to center to put two on. Willie Harris grounds to Prince Fielder, who bobbles it but steps on first. One down. Second and third. Josh Willingham flies out to center to allow Morse to tag and score. 5-1 Brewers. Adam Dunn doubles to left center and off the wall to score Morgan. 5-2 Brewers. Alberto Gonzalez hits the second-straight double to left, Dunn takes third. Pudge Rodriguez grounds out to center to end the mini-rally...Joel Peralta takes over in the sixth against Carlos Gomez. Pop up to Dunn, one down. Joe Inglett lines out to Dunn at first. Dave Bush singles through short. RIckie Weeks flies out to center to end the sixth.
7 - Adam Kennedy singles to start the seventh and chase Dave Bush. Kennedy takes second when Kameron Loe's pickoff attempt is thrown by first. Ian Desmond's groundout moves Kennedy up. Michael Morse goes down swinging for the second out. Nyjer Morgan beats out a grounder up the middle, Kennedy scores. 5-3 Milwaukee. Morgan steals second with Willie Harris up. Harris grounds to first to end the top of the seventh...Alcides Escobar triples to left to start the Brewers' seventh. Ryan Braun flies to short left, Desmond gets back to make the catch. Intentional walk to Fielder. First and third, one out. Casey McGehee gets a hanging slider that he sends out to center for a three-run HR and an 8-3 Milwaukee lead. Lucroy flies out to right, two down. Peralta strikes Gomez out to end the seventh.
8 - Willingham grounds out to short. Adam Dunn hits a one-out single to right, but is forced out at second on a grounder to Fielder at first, Cristian Guzman beats the the return throw to first. Alcides Escobar dives for a sharp grounder up the middle off Pudge's bat and takes the force at second, three outs...8-3 Brewers...Matt Capps on to pitch the eighth. Joe Inglett grounds out to second. Jim Edmonds grounds out to Capps down the third base line. Rickie Weeks K's swinging to end the eighth.
9 - Adam Kennedy singles to start the ninth. Trevor Hoffman throws an 85mph fastball by Ian Desmond. Michael Morse lines out to center. Two down. Kennedy takes second with Morgan up. Nyjer Morgan K's swinging to end the ninth. Brewers win, sweep Nats.