Tonight's Top 5: VOTE FOR ZIM!!!
5. Walks = Runs For Everyone!!: Livan Hernandez walks Tony Gwynn, Jr. in the first AB of the game, and a Jerry Hairston, Jr. grounder gets by the mound and up the middle for a single and two on for Adrian Gonzalez. Gonzalez lines out to second, but a wild pitch with Scott Hairston up moves Gwynn and Hairston, Jr. to second and third so Scott Hairston's sac fly makes it 1-0 Padres after a half...San Diego lefty Clayton Richard gives up a leadoff single to Nyjer Morgan and back-to-back two-out walks to Adam Dunn and Josh Willingham and takes a Pudge Rodriguez' Future-Hall-of-Fame grounder off the foot before throwing low to first where Adrian Gonzalez bobbles it as Morgan scores. Dunn and the Hammer score when Michael Morse hits a two-run single to center, 3-1 Nats when both of Richard's walks score...VOTE FOR ZIM!!!
4. THE KIDS CALL HIM...VOTE FOR ZIM!!! Livan gives up singles to three of the first four Padres he faces in the third, with the third of three scoring San Diego's second run, 3-2, then 4-2 in the fourth when Ryan Zimmerman crushes a hanging 1-1 change inside from Clayton Richard and sends it into the seats above the visitor's bullpen in left. The wall there is 377ft, so call it 395ft and 4-2 Nats on Zim's 15th HR of 2010..VOTE FOR ZIM!!! 10 TIMES BEFORE YOU READ ON...VOTE FOR ZIM!!!
3. Ian Desmond Likes Clayton Richard!!! The Washington Nationals' beleaguered shortstop Ian Desmond is coming back to life, and the 24-year-old infielder launches a HR to left and into the visitor's bullpen in the fifth for a 5-2 Nats' lead and what would end up a very important run. Desmond's 5th HR of 2010 is his first since May 28, 2010 when Desmond hit his 4th HR of the year out of PETCO Field off of, yes, Clayton Richard, in a 5-3 Washington win over San Diego. 107 at bats between HR's 4-5, for anyone counting...
2. Mr. National Does It Again: The Nats' 35-year-old right-hander Livan Hernandez throws 111 pitches in 7.0 IP before he's lifted after surrendering back-to-back singles to Adrian Gonzalez and Scott Hairston in the top of the eighth. The Nats' veteran starter holds the visiting team to 9 hits and 2 ER while he's on the mound, walking two and striking out four, then two more score when he's replaced by right-hander Tyler Clippard, who gives up back-to-back singles, the second an RBI hit by Padres' catcher Yorvit Torrealba and a sac fly by Aaron Cunningham to make it 5-4 Nationals with runners on first and second and one down. Nats' lefty Sean Burnett takes over for Clippard and gets the grounder he wants out of pinch hitter Oscar Salazar, Cristian Guzman fields at second and backhands it low to Ian Desmond, who takes second, jumps the runner and throws...wide of first. Chase Headley, who'd hit the first of two singles off Clippard, scores the tying run. E: 21 for Desmond, E: 73 for the Nationals, tie game at 5-5 after eight and a half...
1. Desmond AGAIN!!!: Padres' outfielder Scott Hairston doubles to left with two down and Jerry Hairston, Jr. on first in the top of the ninth, and Hairston, Jr. thinks he can score, Josh Willingham comes up throwing, hits the cutoff man, Ian Desmond, and Desmond's throw beats the runner to the plate, Pudge makes the tag, still 5-5 after eight and a half...VOTE FOR ZIM!!! THE KIDS CALL HIM ZIM!!! THE KIDS CALL HIM ZIM!!!! WALK-OFF WINNER!!!: Ryan Zimmerman gets a 1-0 fastball inside from Padres' reliever Luke Gregorson and the Nats' Face of the Franchise hits another one of his trademark walk-off HR's, this one to center and over the 409ft sign for a 6-5 Nats' win!!! Nats' All-Star Matt Capps gets the win for the scoreless ninth, the Nats win!! VOTE FOR ZIM!!!
• Miss The Game? The DC Faithful Were Watching...
|Num||Name - Comments|
|1||souldrummer - 131|
|2||Doghouse - 100|
|3||natsstats - 86|
|4||grizzy - 83|
|5||d_c_guy - 52|
|6||Dave from NNN - 47|
|7||MissB - 44|
|8||catdaddy3000 - 42|
|9||Perry Mason - 29|
|10||gannett123 - 28|
• Final Score: Nats 6, Padres 5.
FULL GAME REPORT:
1 - Nats' right-hander Livan Hernandez walks the Padres' leadoff hitter, Tony Gwynn, and Jerry Hairston, Jr. gets on with an infield hit that bounces off the pitcher's glove. Adrian Gonzalez lines to Cristian Guzman at second and the Guz throws to first but too late for the DP. A wild pitch from Livan with Scott Hairston up makes it second and third with one down. Hairston flies out to Michael Morse in right and the leadoff walk scores, 1-0 San Diego. Chase Headley stares a fastball inside into the zone for a called strike three...Clayton Richard starts Nyjer Morgan with a ball outside, then gives up a single to center on a soft liner. Cristian Guzman lines to right on a 3-1 pitch from Richard. Ryan Zimmerman lines out to Aaron Cunningham in right. Adam Dunn walks with two down. Josh Willingham takes a full count pitch for ball four low and it's bases loaded for Ivan Rodriguez. Pudge hits a sharp grounder off Richard's foot, and beats the low throw to first to allow a run to score. 1-1 game. Michael Morse singles up the middle, Dunn and Willingham score, 3-1 Nats. Ian Desmond pops out to first to end the first.
2 - Ryan Zimmerman fields a grounder from Yorvit Torrealba and throws high to first, Dunn makes the play. Aaron Cunningham grounds out to third, Zim bounces this throw. Everth Cabrera grounds to second and Cristian Guzman throws him out, 1-2-3 second for Livan...Hernandez K's swinging to start the Nats' second. Nyjer Morgan flies out to left field. Cristian Guzman hits a change back up the middle for a two-out single. Ryan Zimmerman takes a two-out walk. Adam Dunn walks. Josh Willingham swings at a 3-0 pitch and fouls it off. The Hammer flies out to center on the 3-1 offering, 3-1 Nats after two.
3 - Clayton Richard singles to right to start the Padres' third. Tony Gwynn flies out to Willingham in left. Livan lets a grounder get under his glove and Jerry Hairston, Jr. singles to center. Adrian Gonzalez hits a sharp grounder under Guzman's glove at second. Richard scores, 3-2 Nats. Scott Hairston K's swinging at a sloooow curve. Two down. Chase Headley works the count full and pops out to Desmond behind second...Pudge Rodriguez grounds out to third, but Michael Morse and Ian Desmond hit back-to-back singles up the middle. Livan Hernandez's sac bunt attempt ends in a force at third when Torrealba jumps on it and throws to get Morse. Nyjer Morgan grounds into a force at second, and it's 3-2 Nats after three.
4 - Yorvit Torrealba pops out to Adam Dunn foul of first. Aaron Cunningham lines a single over Guzman at short, but gets caught when Livan and Pudge go with a pitch out and guess right. Pudge throws Cunningham out. Evereth Cabrera flies out to left-center and Nyjer Morgan hustles to get there. 3-2 Nats in the fourth...Cristian Guzman flies out to Tony Gwynn in center. One out. Ryan Zimmerman gets a meaty 1-0 offering and destroys it Zimmerma--THE KIDS CALL HIM ZIM!! THE KIDS CALL HIM ZIM!!! Solo HR, 4-2 Nats. Over the visitor's bullpen. Adam Dunn K's swinging and Clayton RIchard pops up Willingham to end the fourth.
5 - Clayton Richard singles by Guzman and into center. Tony Gwynn, Jr. grounds out to second to move Richard up. Jerry Hairston, Jr. grounds out to second. Adrian Gonzalez gets pitched around. Scott Hairston K's swinging over a brutally slow curve for the third out of the Padres' fifth...Ivan Rodriguez K's on full-count change. Michael Morse K's looking at a full-count fastball. Two down. Ian Desmond goes deeep to left and GONE!! Into the visitor's bullpen for a solo blast and a 5-2 Nats' lead. Livan Hernandez flies to right to end the fifth.
6 - Chase Headley slices a line drive over short for a leadoff single. Yorvit Torrealba flies unproductively to center, Morgan makes the grab. Livan Hernandez gets a flyout to right from Aaron Cunningham. Everth Cabrera grounds out to Guzman, still 5-2 Nats...Nyjer Morgan K's chasing a two-strike slider down and out of the zone. Clayton Richard gets Guzman swinging too. Ryan Zimmerman hits a ground-rule double to left on a scorched liner that bounces into the left field stands. Adam Dunn grounds to second to end the Nats' sixth.
7 - Chris Denorfia goes down swinging!! One down. Tony Gwynn, Jr. flies out to Nyjer Morgan in center. Livan gets a a grounder to second from Jerry Hairston, Jr. and it's 5-2 after six and a half...Josh Willingham pops out to first on the first pitch from Edward Mujica. Michael Morse doubles over Scott Hairston's head in left. Two-out hit. Ian Desmond chops a grounder to short and Everth Cabrera makes the play.
8 - Adrian Gonzalez singles to right to start the eighth. Scott Hairston singles through short and Livan Hernandez is done. Tyler Clippard faces Chase Headley, who singles to right to load the bases. Yorvit Torrealba rips a single through short and it's 5-3 when Gonzalez scores. Aaron Cunningham flies out to left, Hairston scores. 5-4 Nats. Sean Burnett will face Oscar Salazar. Salazar grounds to second, Guzman backhands softly to Desmond, who forces and sails the throw to first, Headley scores, 5-5 game. David Eckstein pops out to short....Willie Harris K's looking in a PH appearance. Nyjer Morgan K's swinging. Cristian Guzman grounds to second and it's 5-5 after eight.
9 - Matt Capps vs Tony Gwynn, Jr. Grounder to second, one down. Jerry Hairston, Jr. singles to center over Capps' cap. Adrian Gonzalez flies to center on a 2-2 pitch from Capps. Scott Hairston lines to left, Hammer comes up throwing and hits the cutoff man, Desmond throws home and beat Hairston, Jr. to the plate!! Pudge makes the tag!! Nailed!!! Still 5-5!!....Luke Gregorson throws an 0-1 fastball down the pipe to Zimmerma---THE KIDS CALL HIM ZIM!!! THE KIDS CALL HIM ZIM!!! Ryan Zimmerman hits a walk-off HR to to center to win it!!! VOTE FOR ZIM!!!