• The Washington Nationals get a leadoff double from Nyjer Morgan, who slices a liner to left and hustles to beat the throw in to second. A balk by Roy Halladay moves Morgan to third, but Ian Desmond fails to get a fly deep enough for even the speedy Morgan to test Shane Victorino's arm on the flyout to center. Adam Dunn walks, Ryan Zimmerman walks, and is forced out at second on a inning-ending DP grounder from Roger Bernadina to Chase Utley at second, Jimmy Rollins and Mike Sweeney at first. Nats threaten but FAIL to score on Philly's ace....
• Jason Marquis has Nats fans stunned through two scoreless as he struggles some with his control but gets the outs he needs, and he's got two down in the third before his control issues cost him. Adam Dunn fields grounders for each of the first two outs, but the Nats' right-hander issues back-to-back two-out walks to Chase Utley and Jayson Werth and Raul Ibanez knocks the first run in with a sharp grounder that gets by Dunn at first and rolls into right as Utley comes around to score. 1-0 Phillies.
• E: 28, 96: Ian Desmond's 28th error of the year is initially given to Adam Dunn, but when the official scorer reviews the play he sees the Nats' shortstop throwing a rising fastball to first on Mike Sweeney's grounder to short, and Desi's throw keeps soaring as it approaches first til not even the 6'6'' Nats' first baseman can reach it with his glove fully extended. Desi's 28th error of 2010 is the Nats' 96th. Good for second in the Majors. Sweeney's stranded two outs later as Nats' righty Jason Marquis holds Philly to one run through four...
• E: 29? Ian Desmond drops a bunt towards third in the Nats' seventh and beats out Placido Polanco's throw to first. Adam Dunn walks to put two on for Ryan Zimmerman and Zim rips into a 93 mph 1-1 fastball and lines out to right, but Desmond had already arrived at third before Ibanez made the grab and the Phillies' left fielder threw to second to get Desi after he slid in safely avoiding the tag only to get punched out when his hand comes off of the bag.
• 0 for 11 with RISP: Back-to-back walks from Roy Halladay, who'd allowed just 22 BB in 193.0 IP before tonight's start, are wasted when Roger Bernadina grounds into an inning-ending DP in the first. A one-out error which allows Ivan Rodriguez on in the second, is followed by a flyout to left by Adam Kennedy and a groundout to second by Jason Marquis. Back-to-back one-out singles in the third and the fourth result in nothing. A two-out single by Zimmerman in the fifth is followed by Bernadina's inning-ending groundout. Adam Kennedy doubles with two down in the sixth, but is stranded...and Ian Desmond's doubled up as described above to end the threat in the seventh. Halladay's replaced by Ryan Madson, who gives up a leadoff single to Bernadina that's wasted and Ian Desmond's two-out double in the ninth off Brad Lidge just misses going out...The Nats get 10 hits, go 0 for 11 w/ RISP against the Phillies.
• 334ft: Ian Desmond tears into a belt-high hanging slider in the top of the ninth and lines it off the "3" in the 334ft. sign on the wall in the corner in left field in Citizens Bank Park, good enough for a two-out double but a few feet from a tie. Philly closer Brad Lidge gets Adam Dunn to chase a slider out of the zone for a swinging strike three and the Phillies' 69th win of the season. It's the Nats' fourth 1-0 loss of 2010. And a 1-0 loss in which they provide no support for the much-maligned right-hander Jason Marquis, who gives up just the one run in 5.0 IP over which he throws 94 pitches, 51 for strikes. Roy Halladay throws 7.0 scoreless, giving up 8 hits and 3 walks, while striking out 5 and throwing 116 pitches, 75 for strikes. Halladay improves to (W, 16-8), Marquis falls to (L, 0-6)...
• Miss The Game? The DC Faithful Were Watching...
|Num||Name - Comments|
|1||souldrummer - 116|
|2||Doghouse - 115|
|3||Jorgath - 100|
|4||Mevans12 - 72|
|5||MissB - 58|
|6||FanSince05 - 40|
|7||NewJerseyAveSE - 25|
|8||RobBobS - 22|
|9||ROBOT UMPIRE - 5|
• Final Score: Phils 1, Nats 0.
• FULL GAME REPORT:
1 - Nats' leadoff man Nyjer Morgan slices a single into short left and hustles out a double just ahead of the throw in to second. Philly right-hander Roy Halladay balks and Morgan's given third. Ian Desmond flies out unproductively to center, Morgan stays put. Adam Dunn takes a one-out walk in front of Ryan Zimmerman. Zim walks to load the bases with one down. Roger Bernadina grounds sharply to Utley at second, to Jimmy Rollins and on to Mike Sweeney at first, double play...Jason Marquis gets help from the Nats' Gold Glove third baseman who throws out Rollins on a weak grounder toward third. Marquis walks Placido Polanco. Chase Utley flies out to Bernadina in left. Jayson Werth works the count full and doubles to left, and off the wall. Second and third. Raul Ibanez K's chasing strike three into the dirt.
2 - Jimmy Rollins throws out Michael Morse. Rollins bounces the throw to first on a Pudge Rodriguez grounder, and Mike Sweeney comes up empty. Adam Kennedy flies out to left. Jason Marquis grounds to second to end the Nats' half of the inning...Shane Victorino pops out to second. Mike Sweeney grounds to third. Carlos Ruiz keeps the second alive with a single to center. Roy Halladay grounds to Marquis who makes a barehand play and throws him out.
3 - Nyjer Morgan K's swinging at a two-strike bender from Halladay. Ian Desmond shoots a low sinker out to center for a one-out single. Adam Dunn drops a pop into short center. Ryan Zimmerman flies out to right, Desmond takes third. Bernadina pops out...Adam Dunn fields a grounder from Rollins and steps on the bag. Polanco hits the second groundout to first. Chase Utley takes a full-count fastball outside for ball four. Jayson Werth walks as well. Raul Ibanez grounds sharply to first and off Dunn's glove. Utley scores, 1-0 Philly. Raul Ibanez to second. Shane Victorino pops out to center to end the third.
4 - Michael Morse K's chasing a nasty curve from Philly's starter. Pudge Rodriguez singles to right by Sweeney. Adam Kennedy follows with a single to center. Jason Marquis flies out to left and Raul Ibanez almost guns Pudge at second. Nyjer Morgan grounds into a force at second to end the Nats' fourth...Ian Desmond throws a rising fastball to first that gets over Adam Dunn and lets Mike Sweeney on. Carlos Ruiz flies out to left. Hallady's grounder gets Zimmerman off-balance and his throw allows Sweeney to move up. Two-out walk to Jimmy Rollins. Rollins steals second. Placido Polanco lines out to left to end the fourth.
5 - Ian Desmond K's swinging. Adam Dunn grounds out to first, two down quickly. Ryan Zimmerman sneaks a two-out single through short to get Bernadina up. Shattered bat groundout to first, 1-0 Philly in the fifth....Chase Utley works back from 0-2 to line a full-count fastball to right for a leadoff single. Werth grounds to Zim, who gets the force at second, but no DP. Werth's running and Pudge throws him out. Two down. Raul Ibanez grounds to first, Marquis covers.
6 - Michael Morse reaches down for a low fastball and lines out to left-center. Ivan Rodriguez K's looking. Adam Kennedy doubles into the left field corner. Kevin Mench hits for Marquis, or more accurately K's swinging to end the inning...Joel Peralta starts the Nats' sixth. Shane Victorino battles for nine pitches before flying out to center. Mike Sweeney flies to Morse in right, two down. Carlos Ruiz flies to right to end the sixth.
7 - Nyjer Morgan grounds to first to start the Nats' seventh. Ian Desmond drops a bunt toward third with Polanco way back, no chance, Desi's on first. Adam Dunn takes a one-out walk to put two on for Zimmerman. Zim lines to left, Desi's running and Ibanez makes the catch and throw to second, Desmond avoids the tag but comes off the bag and gets punched out for the double play...Peralta strikes Domonic Brown out. One down. Jimmy Rollins pops out to center. Polanco pops out to first.
8 - Roger Bernadina singles off Ryan Madson to start the eighth. Morse grounds to second, Utley misses the tag on Bernie and throws out Morse at first. Pudge swings over a 2-2 change. Two down. Adam Kennedy grounds up the middle, Rollins fields behind second and throws him out at first to end the Nats' eighth...Doug Slaten gets a fly ball to left from Chase Utley that Bernadina handles. Jayson Werth pops to Kennedy behind second.
9 - Willie Harris lines out to Werth in right center. Nyjer Morgan flies out to center. Two down. Ian Desmond crushes a hanging slider to left and off the top of the wall. Double, a few feet from gone. Adam Dunn's up, and he goes down swinging to end the 1-0 shutout loss.