• Today's Top 5:
5. Yovani vs Tom: Ian Desmond and Rick Ankiel were both 2 for 4, and Desmond, Danny Espinosa and Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez all went deep off Yovani Gallardo the last time the Nationals faced the Brewers' right-hander back on April 17th of this season. Washington hitters collected 10 hits and seven runs that day in an 8-4 win at Nationals Park. Tonight in Miller Park in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, the Nats face a starter who's thus far undefeated at home, (3-0) in five starts this season, with the Brewers 4-1 when the 25-year-old '04 2nd Round Draft pick is on the mound. Roger Bernadina sees eight pitches before singling to right to start the first. Four pitches and two outs later Laynce Nix lines the second pitch he sees to center for a two-out single. Two on and two out for Wilson Ramos, and the Nats' catcher works the count full before flying out to right where Corey Hart makes a catch with his back to the wall and his glove raised. 20 pitch first for the Brewers' starter...
4. "This one's called 'Launch Pad McQuack.'" - SP: Tom Gorzelanny hits the first batter he faces, drilling Rickie Weeks to put the Brewers' leadoff man on. Gorzelanny throws a change outside to Corey Hart after a first pitch fastball, and Hart goes out to get it and launches it to center field and off the Miller Park scoreboard for an early 2-0 Milwaukee lead. Ryan Braun's fly to center stays in the park, but Prince Fielder's doesn't. The Brewers' big first baseman tries to match Hart for distance, but comes up short. Long enough for a HR though and a 3-0 Brewers' lead after one. 22 pitch first for Gorzelanny. Michael Morse enters the HR distance competition in the Nats' second with a BOMB of his own, taking Gallardo to right center, over the wall, the bullpen and into the second deck. 375-380ft at the wall and that kept going. 3-1 Brewers after one and a half. Morse's third.
3. Make It Stop!!: After Fielder's HR, Gorzelanny sends eight of the next nine Brewers back to the bench, surrendering only a one-out walk to Corey Hart in the third, but he's through three without any more damage. The Nats' lefty lets two runners on as Gorzelanny gives up a leadoff single to Casey McGehee and a one-out single to Yuniesky Betancourt in the fourth, but he gets Carlos Gomez looking at a full-count fastball on the ninth pitch to the Brewers' outfielder and pops the opposing pitcher up to strand both runners. Yovani Gallardo retires the Nats in order in the fifth, twelve-straight since Morse's HR in the second made it 3-1. Corey Hart makes it 5-1 Brewers in the bottom of the fifth inning when he crushes an 0-1 fastball to left-center and gone. Hart's second HR is a two-run blast after Rickie Weeks' leadoff single. 5-1 Brewers. Ryan Braun doubles to right and scores on an RBI single by Jonathan Lucroy, 6-1 Brewers after five.
2. Lightning: Roger Bernadina beats out an infield single to start the Nats' sixth, and gives the Nationals their first baserunner in 13 at bats. Two outs later, Jayson Werth reaches on an error by Brewers' shorstop Yunkiesky Betancourt, but another Wilson Ramos fly to right falls short of the wall. Two runners stranded on the Nats' catcher's second long fly out. 6-1 Brewers after five and a half. Nats' reliever Henry Rodriguez replaces Tom Gorzelanny in the sixth, and lights up the Miller Park radar gun, throwing four 100mph+ pitches to Rickie Weeks before dropping a full-count slider in for a called strike three on the Brewers' infielder. 11 pitches, 7 strikes, 2 K's for Rodriguez. Still 6-1 Brewers.
1. RISP, LOB: Danny Espinosa walks with one down after Michael Morse K's looking to start the Nats' seventh. Jerry Hairston's one-out single to right puts two Nats on with one down. Matt Stairs flies out to left field, leaving the veteran bench bat 3 for 31 with one double and seven walks in 37 plate appearances. Roger Bernadina grounds out to short, two runners stranded...Laynce Nix doubles to right with two down in the 8th, and Wilson Ramos reaches on an error, but Michael Morse strands two more Nats when he flies out to left field. Still 6-1 Brewers. Nats 0 for 7 with RISP, 8 LOB.
0. 21.0 Innings: Drew Storen's streak of 21.0 scoreless innings pitched ends in the ninth when he gives up back-to-back doubles to center to Jonathan Lucroy and Yuniesky Betancourt. Betancourt's drives in the Brewers' seventh run, 7-1, and after a two-out walk to Rickie Weeks, Storen's lifted after throwing 25 pitches, 16 strikes and surrendering two hits, both doubles, a run and a walk in 0.2 IP. Storen leaves two on for Doug Slaten, which is not a good idea. HR!! Corey Hart crushes a hanging slider from Slaten and it's a 10-1 game. 3 HR night for Corey Hart. One ugly start to the series for the Nationals. Ryan Braun doubles and an error on a play at first brings him home, 11-1. Danny Espinosa's hit in the knee, and he exits the game in the Nats' ninth. Brian Bixler runs for Espinosa and scores on an RBI triple by Jerry Hairston. 11-2, and 11-3 on an RBI groundout by Bernadina. Brewers win. 11-3 final.
• Miss The Game, The DC Faithful Tried To Watch...
|Num||Name - Comments|
|1||dc Roach - 198|
|2||RobBobS - 61|
|3||G8RB8 - 55|
|4||MissB - 45|
|5||Princess Jazzy - 31|
|6||Radtown - 24|
|7||The Herndon Kid - 22|
|8||mstomper - 20|
|9||Brotato - 20|
|10||FanSince05 - 15|
Nationals now 21-26.