The Goose Goslin Most Valuable Player Award, which honors the veteran of 18 MLB seasons who spent 12 years in D.C. from 1921-30 before returning in 1933 and 1938, is given to the, "Player most valuable to the success of the National League's best 2012 Washington Nationals." In the yearly voting for the Goose Gosling MVP Award by the DC Chapter of the the IBWAA I voted for Ian Desmond; Adam LaRoche and Ryan Zimmerman, in that order. The majority of the voting members of the DC-IBWA disagreed on the top spot, going with Adam LaRoche first, Desmond second and Zimmerman in the three-hole where he's used to hitting. For the Walter Johnson Starting Pitcher of the Year my votes lined up perfectly with the majority decision that said Gio Gonzalez, Stephen Strasburg and Jordan Zimmermann were the Nats' top three pitchers this season, respectively.
The results came in this morning, with the District Sports Page's Dave Nichols tallying the votes that were cast by a cast of characters/online writers which included: District Sports Page, WeLoveDC.com, The Nats Blog, Centerfield Gate, FJB, Nationals Inquisition, Bang! Zoom!, Nats Nation, Let Teddy Win!, Nationals Review, William World News, First Ladies of Baseball, Nationals Prospects, Nats Enquirer, D.C. Baseball History, Natstradamus, Long Island Nats Blog, Nationals Daily News (emeritus), We've Got Heart (emeritus).
I've included my votes below and the answers to a few of the questions that were included with this year's ballots, but you can read the entire post on this year's winners HERE.
• My Ballot:
• Goose Goslin Most Valuable Player (Player most valuable to the success of the Washington Nationals): 1. Ian Desmond; 2. Adam LaRoche; 3. Ryan Zimmerman
• Walter Johnson Starting Pitcher of the Year (Excellent performance as a starting pitcher): 1. Gio Gonzalez; 2. Stephen Strasburg; 3. Jordan Zimmermann
• Frederick "Firpo" Marberry Relief Pitcher of the Year (Excellent performance as a relief pitcher): 1. Tyler Clippard; 2. Sean Burnett; 3. Craig Stammen
• Sam Rice Hitter of the Year (Excellence in all-around hitting, situational hitting and baserunning): 1. Ian Desmond; 2. Adam LaRoche; 3. Ryan Zimmerman
• Frank Howard Slugger of the Year (Excellence in power hitting): 1. Adam LaRoche; 2. Ian Desmond; 3. Bryce Harper
• Joe Judge Defensive Player of the Year (Excellence in fielding): 1. Danny Espinosa; 2. Ian Desmond; 3. Bryce Harper
• Mickey Vernon Comeback Player of the Year (Player who overcame biggest obstacle in the preceding season to contribute on the field): 1. Jayson Werth; 2. Adam LaRoche; 3. Stephen Strasburg
• Josh Gibson Humanitarian Player of the Year (Player who meritoriously gave of himself to the community): 1. Ian Desmond; 2. Ryan Zimmerman; 3. Bryce Harper
• Ballot ?'s:
1) Of the players on the current active roster (or DL), which players do you think will not be part of the organization next season? Mark DeRosa; Jesus Flores.
2) Will Adam LaRoche or Edwin Jackson sign a contract extension before they hit the free agent market? No, neither will.
3) Who was the biggest pleasant surprise on this year's team? Adam LaRoche's offensive production surprised me even though it's not too far off his career production.
4) Who was the biggest disappointment? Wilson Ramos due to injury.