The Washington Nationals have reportedly acquired left-handed reliever Jerry Blevins from the Oakland A's in return for 2013 Nats' Minor League Player Billy Burns:
Both SB Nation MLB Daily Dish writer Chris Cotillo and NatsInsider.com writer Mark Zuckerman reported last night on potential interest on the Nationals' part as they looked for a left-hander that Nationals' GM Mike Rizzo said would solidify the bullpen in the nation's capital.
Blevins, 30, was (5-0) with a 3.15 ERA, 3.88 FIP, 17 walks (2.55 BB/9) and 52 Ks (7.80 K/9) in 67 games and 60 IP out of the A's bullpen in his seventh major league season in 2013. In his career, Blevins has held left-handed hitters to a .224/.278/.358 line while holding right-handers to a .240/.326/.385 line. Last season in Oakland, the 6'6'' left-hander held lefties to a .242/.299/.442 line while right-handed batters put up just a .184/.267/.314 line against him.
Burns, 24, was named the Nats' Minor League Player of the Year in his third season in the Nats' system after a .315/.425/.383 season split between High-A Potomac (91 G, 402 PAs) and Double-A Harrisburg (30 G, 138 PAs) which saw the speedy outfielder hit 12 doubles and nine triples while stealing 74 bases in 81 attempts. Burns was drafted by the Nationals in the 32nd Round of the 2011 Draft.
Here are some reactions on the deal:
The Nats filled their lefty relief need with Jerry Blevins at the cost of their minor league player of the year. http://t.co/duCckwHEqa— Adam Kilgore (@AdamKilgoreWP) December 11, 2013
- Nationals Rumors: Nats' Search For Left-Handed Reliever Nearing An End?
- 2013 MLB Winter Meetings Day Two: Nationals Rumors On Relievers, Links, Tweets
- Mike Rizzo And Matt Williams On Nationals' Leadoff Man Denard Span...
- Nationals At The 2013 MLB Winter Meetings: Mike Rizzo And Matt Williams Talks 2014 Nats
- Nationals Rumors: Rumored Nats' Target Eric O'Flaherty In Talks With Braves