The Washington Nationals announced the names of 18 Non-Roster invitees to Spring Training this afternoon, including prospects A.J. Cole, Blake Treinen, Matt Skole and Brian Goodwin. Veterans Jamey Carroll, Mike Fontenot, Chris Snyder and Will Rhymes will be in Viera, Florida soon too. New Nats' skipper Matt Williams told reporters at the Winter Meetings in December that he expected to have around 60 players at Spring Training this season to allow him to get a chance to see players he's not too familiar with in person.
"You can look at stats and say this guy hit 25 homers, but I want to know the intricacies of the player," Williams explained. "I want to know what his instincts are. We're going to have a little heavier camp than the organizations have in the last couple of years. So we'll have 60‑plus players. It's a function of me wanting to see them, certainly."
• Here are the names of the 18 Non-Roster invitees:
RHP Gabriel Alfaro
IF Jamey Carroll
RHP Manny Delcarmen
IF Mike Fontenot
RHP Clay Hensley
RHP Daniel Stange
IF Brock Peterson
C Chris Snyder
RHP A.J. Cole
LHP Tyler Robertson
LHP Danny Rosenbaum
RHP Blake Treinen
RHP Chris Young
C Brian Jeroloman
IF Josh Johnson
IF Will Rhymes
IF Matt Skole
OF Brian Goodwin
As the Nationals post on the invitees notes, it will be the first Major League Spring Training for both Cole and Goodwin. Alfaro was signed out of the Mexican League. Veteran infielder Jamey Carroll returns to the Nationals after playing in D.C. in the Nats' inaugural season in 2005.
Check out the Nationals' write-up on the 18 Non-Roster Invitees below:
The #Nats announce 18 Non-Roster Invitations to Major League Spring Training. Find out who was invited here: http://t.co/54lP863JT9— Washington Nationals (@Nationals) January 24, 2014
- NatsFest Special: The Many Roads to NatsTown For A Nationals Fan
- Nationals' Prospects Lucas Giolito And A.J. Cole Make MLB's Top 100 Prospects List
- Rizzo And Williams On The Nationals' Arbitration Cases With Doug Fister, Tyler Clippard
- New Nationals' Lefty Jerry Blevins: "A Lot Of Awkward Length And Skinny Limbs Coming At You."
- Nationals Fan Primer: Federal Baseball Lexicon, 2014 Edition