Via Fangraphs (click to embiggen)
- That walk burns: Jordan Zimmermann (+63.5%) gets 26 outs towards a win, fanning 6 over 8.2 scoreless and leaving with a lead and a man walked on with two outs in the 9th.
- Here's your run: Anthony Rendon (+8.1%) is 4-7 with a walk and a two-out RBI single in the 3rd for the Nats' only run (+11.2%).
- A familiar nightmare: Drew Storen (-29.8%) reignites a thousand unwelcome narratives, melting down with one out to go by giving up a single and double to allow the tying run to score, with the go-behind run thrown out at the plate.
- Shutdowns: Tyler Clippard (+12.3%) and Matt Thornton (+12.3%) throw scoreless innings in the 10th and 11th.
- Meltdown/Shutdown: Aaron Barrett (-17.3%) gives up a leadoff double in the 12th, whereupon Jerry Blevins (+30.1%) comes in to get three outs and keep it tied like a boss.
- Horse: Craig Stammen (+38.3%) throws three scoreless from the 13th to the 15th, working for his shutdown.
- Roster validation: Rafael Soriano (+12.3%) throws a 1-2-3 16th inning.
- Hope? Nope: Tanner Roark (-18.9%) throws a scoreless 17th, but gives a mammoth go-behind HR in the 18th (-34.9%).
- Least valuable hitters: Denard Span (-29.0%) is 0-7 with a walk, a LOB, and a GDP. Jayson Werth (-23.2%) is 1-8 with 5 LOB. Danny Espinosa (-23.0%) somehow makes this list via a mere 0-3 with 2 LOB.
- The other notable positive hitting WPA: Ryan Zimmerman (+5.4%) gets a pinch-hit single in the 10th.
Tonight's WPA brought to you by meta-clues: