There was a surprise addition to the field of candidates for the Washington Nationals' managerial gig on Tuesday, with bow-tied FOXSports.com writer Ken Rosenthal reporting that Arizona Diamondbacks' third base coach Andy Green met with Nats' officials on Tuesday.
Former Minnesota Twins' skipper Ron Gardenhire reportedly met with the Nationals as well, joining a list of potential candidates who have reportedly interviewed that also includes Phil Nevin, Bud Black, Dusty Baker and Ron Wotus.
Will Dave Martinez get an interview if/when the Chicago Cubs are eliminated?
Will Alex Cora visit the nation's capital in the near future?
Will Baltimore Orioles' "Iron Man" Cal Ripken get a call from D.C.?
Outside of the manager search update, the biggest Nationals-related news on Tuesday had to do with the new, or soon-to-be-built shared Spring Training facility in West Palm Beach, Florida:
• "Mark D. Lerner, vice chairman and one of the principal owners of the Nationals, called Tuesday’s approvals 'the final hurdle' in a statement issued through a team spokeswoman..." - "Nationals and Astros expect to begin construction on new spring training facility in ‘next two weeks’" - Chelsea Janes, The Washington Post
Mark Lerner issued a statement on the most-recent developments:
Lerner: "Now, we can move forward with construction -- which we expect to begin in the next two weeks." pic.twitter.com/smq5CLtTSC— Chelsea Janes (@chelsea_janes) October 20, 2015
• "The cost of the stadium, based on newly revised estimates, has already gone beyond the $135 million once envisioned. The deal requires the teams to cover the difference." - "County approves financing for $144 million baseball stadium" - Andy Reid, Sun Sentinel
• "Looks like the cost of the spring training complex the Nationals will share with the Astros has gone a little higher than expected." - "Nationals Buzz: Palm Beach County commissioners approve construction bonds for spring training complex" - Pete Kerzel, MASNSports.com
• "Palm Beach County, Fla., will issue up to $133 million of revenue bonds to help finance a new spring training stadium for the Houston Astros and Washington Nationals." - "Palm Beach County, Fla., OK s Spring Training Stadium Bonds" - Shelly Sigo, The Bond Buyer
NATS BEAT: Nationals' manager search continues
• "One of Gardenhire's mentors was Davey Johnson, who managed the Nationals from 2011-13." - "Nats to interview Ron Gardenhire Andy Green" - Bill Ladson, MLB.com
• "Green, 38, played four seasons in the majors and another in Japan before joining the coaching ranks." - "Report: Nats interviewed D-Backs coach for manager job" - Chase Hughes, CSN Mid-Atlantic
• "The fiery Gardenhire was ejected 72 times during this managerial career with the Twins. He was beloved by his players and parted ways amicably with the Twins." - "Nationals Pastime: Ron Gardenhire reportedly next to interview with Nats for managerial opening" - Chris Johnson, MASNSports.com
Nats indeed also interviewed Diamondbacks third base coach Andy Green today. @Ken_Rosenthal first mentioned.— James Wagner (@JamesWagnerWP) October 20, 2015
• "Gardenhire fits the profile of the type of manager the Nationals have been targeting." - "Nationals interview Ron Wotus; Ron Gardenhire expected Tuesday" - James Wagner, The Washington Post
• "An offseason of familiar faces saying goodbye kicked off Oct. 5, when Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo fired manager Matt Williams after two seasons." - "Nationals Enter An Offseason Of Change" - David Driver, PressboxDC
• AFL Update: Surprise 3; Salt River 1 - Drew Ward 1 for 2, 2B, BB; Dakota Bacus - 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 1 K - Box Score
NATIONAL(S) BEAT: That time Dusty and Jimi met in San Francisco
• "After his first stint in the bigs, Baker writes, he ran into Jimi Hendrix on the streets of San Francisco one night and, having abandoned the 'no grass' rule, smoked a joint with him." - "Dusty and Jimi" - Charles Bethea, The New Yorker
• "Keith Hernandez... on the Washington Nationals’ disappointing season: "Something rotten in Denmark." - "The best of the Mets’ Keith Hernandez" - Kate Feldman, NY Daily News
2015 Draft Report Card: Nationals https://t.co/2aWjSkmVOF— Baseball America (@BaseballAmerica) October 20, 2015
• Phillies: "Finally, we can talk about Domonic Brown. His tumultuous time with the Phillies has finally reached an end." - "The Phillies Outright Four More Players" - Bill Baer, Crashburn Alley
The #Phillies have outrighted four players off their 40-man roster: OF's Brian Bogusevic, Domonic Brown and Kelly Dugan and C Tommy Joseph.— Phillies (@Phillies) October 19, 2015
• Mets: "Yoenis Cespedes did not hit a home run for the Mets in Game 3 of the NLCS on Tuesday night -- that is what they have Daniel Murphy in the lineup for!" - "Yoenis Cespedes gets three hits and a key steal of third base" - Neil Best, Newsday
• Braves: "When Hart and Coppolella began their massive reconstruction process last year, they had limited financial flexibility and a weak Minor League system." - "Braves evaluating needs for Hot Stove season" - Mark Bowman, braves.com
• Marlins: "The Miami Marlins are interested in Mattingly, according to a person familiar with their managerial search." - "Why Dodgers' choice on Don Mattingly is not simply 'keep him' or 'fire him'" - Bill Shaikin, Los Angeles Times