Washington Nationals' pitchers and catchers report to their spring home in Viera, Florida's Space Coast Stadium for the start of Spring Training in 16 days.
It could be the next-to-last time they report to Viera, the Nats' home since 2005 and the franchise's home since 2003.
According to a report by Palm Beach Post writer Joe Capozzi, the Nats and Houston Astros, who are working together on a plan to build a shared Spring Training complex, "took another big step Monday night toward moving their spring training operations to West Palm Beach," when they won, "conceptual approval from the city for a shared stadium south of 45th Street.":
"The same so-called spring training 'term sheet' – a non-binding agreement unanimously approved by the West Palm Beach City Commission — will be considered Tuesday morning by the Palm Beach County Commission."
"A favorable vote by the county to the interlocal agreement will set in motion a series of moves the teams hope will culminate with the opening of a $135 million complex in 2017," Capozzi writes.
After Tuesday's vote, the "county’s legislative delegation" will vote on Friday on whether or not, "... to support the introduction of a bill that would reduce," the required distance between planned, "grass multi-purpose fields and for parking for spring training games," and a canal, "on the south end of the site that connects to Grassy Waters Preserve 2 miles to the west."
Bigger vote expected later this spring when state Legislature considers approving a technical law change affecting a 27-acre part of site— joe capozzi (@jcapozzipbpost) February 3, 2015
That was probably the biggest Nationals-related news of the day on Monday. The Nats also officially announced the signing of new late-inning arm Casey Janssen:
• "The Washington Nationals and Houston Astros took another big step Monday night toward moving their spring training operations to West Palm Beach..." - "West Palm Beach OKs concept for shared Astros-Nationals baseball stadium" - Joe Capozzi, www.palmbeachpost.com
• "Talks are heating up in the push to strike a deal for a new $135 million stadium that could bring two spring training baseball teams to West Palm Beach." - "West Palm Beach, Palm Beach County move ahead on stadium deal" - Andy Reid, Sun-Sentinel
NATS BEAT: Nationals announce Janssen signing
• "Janssen is the right-handed replacement for prolific set-up man Tyler Clippard, gone to Oakland in the trade that brought Yunel Escobar to play second base." - "Nationals officially announce signing of Casey Janssen" - Chelsea Janes, The Washington Post
Thank you Toronto! pic.twitter.com/wsO6TbPJUv— Casey Janssen (@CaseyJanssen) February 2, 2015
• "Janssen is expected to become the Nationals’ new setup man while also providing some ninth-inning insurance in case anything happens to closer Drew Storen." - "Casey Janssen signing is official, Nats DFA reliever Eric Fornataro" - Mark Zuckerman, Nats Insider
• "Before the All-Star break in 2014, Janssen was 3-0 with a 1.23 ERA in 23 games (22 innings) with 14 saves." - "Nationals Pastime: Nats officially announce Janssen signing, designate Fornataro for assignment" - Chris Johnson, MASNSports.com
Phillies station now = Nationals station:
• "Already the home of the Washington Nationals' Double-A minor-league affiliate, Harrisburg is getting a radio affiliate for the parent club in 2015." - "Nationals bump Phillies off Harrisburg's new sports radio station" - Dave Sottile, PennLive.com
Non-Janssen, Non-ST-stadium Nationals news:
• "Harper rubbed elbows with some big names in the sports and entertainment world over the weekend and chronicled many of the moments on his Instagram account." - "Nationals Pastime: A super week for Harper and Williams" - Chris Johnson, MASNSports.com
• "The key is to have healthy seasons from Harper, Wilson Ramos and Ryan Zimmerman. All three players missed significant time because of injuries last year." - "Inbox: How good does Scherzer make Nationals?" - Bill Ladson, nationals.com
• "Pitchers Reynaldo Lopez, Lucas Giolito and Rafael Bautista are likely to be alongside players such as infielders Drew Ward and Wilmer Difo, and catcher Spencer Kieboom." - "Fresh off Carolina League title, P-Nats will be good again with new cast" - Byron Kerr, MASNSports.com
Byron Kerr: Fresh off Carolina League title, P-Nats will be good again with new cast http://t.co/ED0oaoU8ZX— Byron Kerr (@masnKerr) February 2, 2015
NATIONAL(S) NEWS: Krol update, Unsigned Nationals' draft pick updates
• "If one player personified the Tigers' up-and-down season last year, it was Ian Krol." - "Right workout regimen could help Krol help Tigers all season" - Dana Wakiji, FOX Sports
• "4. If this team had one game to win, which pitcher would get the ball? Washington Nationals second-round selection and the highest MLB Draft returnee – preseason All-American left-hander Andrew Suarez." - "2015 Preview: Middle of lineup, ace, look to power Miami Hurricanes" - NCAA.com
• "Byler turned down a minor league opportunity (ninth round pick in the 2014 MLB Draft by the Washington Nationals) to return to the Wolf Pack for his senior season." - "Two Mountain West Student-Athletes Named To 2015 Baseball America Preseason All-America Team" - TheMW.com
NATSTOWN: Capitol Hill League + Strasburg back at SDSU
• "Also in attendance will be former Aztec and current Washington Nationals pitcher Stephen Strasburg as new artwork on the wall behind right field showing Gwynn along with SDSU Golden Spikes winners Strasburg and Travis Lee are christened." - "Aztecs to Honor Tony Gwynn" - NewsCenter | SDSU
• "The Washington Nationals will supply uniform shirts and caps to all Capitol Hill Little League players this season." - "Capitol Hill Little League Partners with Nationals on Uniforms" - Andrea Swalec, Hill Now
Congratulations, Mr. Robinson:
Commissioner Manfred names Hall of Famer Frank Robinson Senior Advisor & new Honorary President of AL. Details: pic.twitter.com/pl3ileJHys— MLB Public Relations (@MLB_PR) February 2, 2015
NL EAST UPDATES: Papelbon suitor; Mets standing pat?; Stanton's face guard
• Phillies: "Amaro would not name the clubs. Sources say Milwaukee is the most viable trade partner. Toronto has poked around on Papelbon, but a source termed that club’s interest as 'mild.'" - "'Things are still alive' on Jonathan Papelbon trade front" - Jim Salisbury, Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia
• Mets: "'One of the reasons we've been fairly quiet is that we've got players with the potential to take us, to improve us by 10 games, which is what we need,' Alderson said on MLB Network." - "Mets GM Sandy Alderson might sit on his current roster" - Erik Boland, Newsday
• Marlins: "Aside from some minor issues stemming from the incident, Stanton is set to report to Spring Training." - "Stanton to wear protective face guard in camp" - Joe Frisaro, marlins.com
#Braves Wood: "I don’t think there will be much tomfoolery. I think it’ll be a well-run clubhouse, something we might have missed last year"— David O'Brien (@DOBrienAJC) February 2, 2015