Via Fangraphs (click to embiggen)
- The anti-Gio: Doug Fister (-13.1%) gets punished for almost every baserunner when he can't keep the ball down, walking 2, fanning 3, and giving up 5 runs (4 ER) in 6 IP. Keep the ball on the ground, Dougie.
- He only has so much Escobar to give: Yunel Escobar (+21.1%) hits a game-tying, two-out, three-run double in the 3rd (+29.6%), but it's his only hit of the night.
- Enjoy your first shutdown: Matt Grace (+8.2%) keeps it tied with a scoreless 7th.
- His bullpen role is, "meltdown": Blake Treinen (-22.2%) shows some flashes, but one of his walks comes around to put the Nats behind before his 2 Ks and a groundout get him out of the aeyth.
- Second appearance slump: Rafael Martin (-7.0%) strikes out the side in the 9th, but gives up a solo shot to put the Nats down by two.
- Unhelpful at the plate: Wilson Ramos (-10.7%) and Danny Espinosa (-10.2%) combine to go 0-8.
Tonight's WPA brought to you by echoes of the police state: