Via Fangraphs (click to embiggen)
- Mistakes were made: Max Scherzer (+3.3%) goes 7 innings with 4 Ks and no walks, although a HBP and a WP lead to both runs that he allows.
- Unlikely success: Danny Espinosa (+1.7%) doubles to lead off the 5th (+9.8%) and takes third on Scherzer's (+8.1% hitting) butcher-boy ROE (+10.6%).
- Brief hope: Denard Span (+12.9%) is 1-3 with a walk and a fifth-inning, RBI single to tie it at one (+13.9%).
- Fail parade: Ryan Zimmerman (-20.6%) is 1-4 with 5 LOB and a GDP. Jose Lobaton (-11.7%) is 0-4 with 2 LOB and 4 Ks. Yunel Escobar (-14.6%) is 1-4 with a GDP.
- Not helping: Aaron Barrett (-18.7%) gratuitously melts down in the aeyth, giving up a pair of doubles around a horrendous throwing error to give up two runs.
Tonight's WPA brought to you by philosophy, dance, and humility: