Via Fangraphs (click to embiggen)
- Sinking (in a good way): Doug Fister (+30.8%) gets one out into the 7th with 3 Ks, no walks, and no runs allowed to make his one run stick.
- It looked so easy at this point: Ryan Zimmerman (+4.3%) singles in a run with two out in the 1st (+12.0%). It ended up being all the Nats would get (or need).
- Cleanup #1: Tanner Roark (+14.8%) comes on in the 7th to defuse a one-out, man-on-second situation and earn a shutdown.
- Cleanup #2: Aaron Barrett (+16.7%) gets the final out of the 8th inning to earn a shutdown after coming in with runners 2nd/3rd (Thornton juuuuuust missed earning a meltdown getting into that fix).
- Final dusting: Drew Storen (+16.2%) throws a 1-2-3 ninth to preserve the one-run lead, earn a shtudown, and get Big Doug a well-earned (albeit statistically questionable) win.
- Sporting Gentlemen: Jayson Werth (-10.1%) is 0-4 with with 3 LOB. Doug Fister (-10.8% hitting) is 0-3 with 5 LOB. Bryce Harper (-9.0%) is 1-5 with 3 LOB.
- Waking up: Ian Desmond (+9.4%) is 2-3 with a walk and a pair of doubles.
Today's WPA brought to you by some kind of unironic Aziz Ansari tribute luau:
Yes, I know I screwed up the tweet and said the Mets won 2-1. What can I say, I was worried.