- Ya got promise, kid. Too bad ya ain't got runs: Joe Ross (-8.5%) gives up 2 runs in 6.1 IP with 6 Ks and a walk.
- Here's yer runs kid, make 'em stick: Ian Desmond (+7.3%) singles in a pair of runs with two outs in the first for an early lead (+18.5%).
- Keeping it tied: Casey Janssen (+12.1%) earns a shutdown by getting the last two outs in the 7th after a one-out double.
- Not keeping it tied: Matt Thornton (-33.9%) gives up the go-behind run in the ayeth for tonight's meltdown.
- Keeping it not-tied, but no worse: Aaron Barrett (+6.7%) gets a shutdown for cleaning up Thorny's mess by getting the last two outs in the 8th with no further damage.
- Examples of offensive futility: Anthony Rendon (-7.3%) is 0-4 with 1 LOB. Michael Taylor (-7.3%) is 0-4 with 3 Ks.
- Examples of even more offensive futility: Wilson Ramos (-9.6%) is 0-4 with 2 LOB. Ryan Zimmerman (-9.6%) is 1-4 with 3 LOB.
Tonight's WPA brought to you by a break: