clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Nationals and Dodgers: NLDS Game 2 postponed until 1:08 PM EDT Sunday (10/9)

MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred was in Nationals Park today, and he announced that Game 2 of the NLDS matchup between the Nats and Dodgers was postponed until 1:08 PM EDT tomorrow.

MLB: NLDS-Los Angeles Dodgers at Washington Nationals Brad Mills-USA TODAY Sports

With rain continuing to fall as the scheduled 4:08 PM start time for tonight’s game approached, and expected to keep falling until around 8:00 PM tonight in the nation’s capital, Major League Baseball announced that Game 2 of the NLDS matchup between the Los Angeles Dodgers and Washington Nationals was being postponed until 1:08 PM EDT tomorrow afternoon.

Commissioner Rob Manfred made the announcement in the press conference room in Nationals Park.

“We have been on the phone for the last few minutes with our various weather services,” Manfred said.

“It appears that the rain that we’re seeing right now is going to persist until at least 8:00. When the weather man gives you something with 100% certainty that’s unusual, but that appears [to be] what we have. Even after 8:00, it appears that there will at least be mist in the area and as a result we’ve decided that we’re going to postpone tonight’s game until 1:00 tomorrow, 1:08 to be precise.

“Probably unlikely we that we would be able to get the field ready even if it stopped at 8:00. So all things considered, we thought it was better for fans to let them know early and let them know that we’re going to be at 1:00 tomorrow when the weather is supposed to be good.”

Manfred also said that they were going to stay with the schedule as is for the rest of the series as well, which means a long flight to Los Angeles for both teams after tomorrow afternoon’s game and Game 3 on Monday at 4:00 PM EDT in Dodger Stadium.

“We do east-to-west travel like this during the regular season,” Manfred said. “It’s not ideal, but doable.”

“We met with both teams,” the Commissioner explained, “I think there was a lot of consensus that no matter who controlled the game, that the right decision here was to cancel and play in good weather tomorrow.”

“We hate to cancel,” he continued. “We hate to make travel worse on the players than it was originally intended to be, but it just doesn’t look like we’re going to have a situation that would be safe for the players to play.”

More info when it’s available...