- Blistering: Joe Ross (+10.3 pitching, +3.4% hitting) throws two scoreless with a walk before he's pulled for not striking anyone out*. He draws a walk and scores a run.
- Us geezers call him, "Zim," too: Ryan Zimmerman (+4.1%) doubles in a run to put the Nats ahead with two down in the first, although he gets thrown out going for third (+8.5%).
- What, no dingers? Bryce Harper (+6.9%) doubles in the Nats second run with two down in the 3rd (+11.8%).
- Swinger: Yusmeiro Petit (+15.2%) fans three and walks none, giving up one run in 4 IP after coming in to pick up Ross and earn himself a shutdown.
- Stop junk-timing and work on your OBP! Michael Taylor (+2.9%) hits a stat-padding solo shot with two down in the 5th (+9.4%).
- Watching him makes me dizzy: Oliver Perez (+7.7%) use his confuzzling delivery to throw a scoreless 7th and earn a shutdown.
- Sinkerballer sinkerballs: Blake Treinen (+8.3%) follows his formula (K, hit, GDP) to earn a shutdown in the aeyth.
- Bounce-back: Jonathan Papelbon (+8.4%) ends the game with a particularly enormous K to earn a shutdown.
Tonight's WPA brought to you by 'tis but a scratch:
*It is possible that Ross was pulled because he had a blister on the middle finger of his pitching hand.