- Not quite Roarkian: Stephen Strasburg (-11.3%) stays in a batter too long, striking out 10 with no walks in 7.1 innings pitched, but giving up 4 runs--3 of which came on his last pitch.
- den Dinger: Matt den Dekker (-13.0%) hits a leadoff solo bomb into the home bullpen to put the Nats ahead in the first (+10.3%), as well as making several nice plays in center in extras (WPA not credited here).
- Tearing up the two-spot: Michael Taylor (+13.8%) is 2-3 with a walk.
- LOBstermen: Ryan Zimmerman (-38.2%) is 1-7 with 7 LOB. Anthony Rendon (-25.5%) is 1-6 with 6 LOB.
- Salvage: Jayson Werth (+11.5%) redeems an 0-3 with a double in the aeyth to put runners 2nd/3rd with no outs (+13.7%).
- Rally rhino: Wilson Ramos (+19.2%) doubles in a pair of runs with no out in the ayeth to give us hope for a comeback (+20.6%).
- Rally ruiners: Stephen Drew (-18.1%) lines out in the ayeth with the tying run on 2nd (-11.7%). Clint Robinson pinch-hit strikes out with the tying run on third (-17.5%), while den Dekker flies out to end the threat (-11.1%).
- Flair for the dramatic, part 3: Bryce Harper leads off the ninth with a pinch-hit home run well back over the CF well to tie the game (+44.1%).
- Relief aces: Felipe Rivero (9.2%) gets four outs, keeping the game close in the 9th and preserving the tie in the 10th, earning a shutdown. Jonathan Papelbon (+7.5%) gets the last two outs in the 10th on two pitches for his own shutdown.
- Rally, interrupted: Jose Lobaton (-24.7%) GDPs to end a two-on threat in the 10th inning (-20.4%).
- Long man goes long: Yusmeiro Petit (+18.5%) faces one batter too many, going 4 2/3 scoreless in extras before giving up the go-behind run--although it's still enough for a shutdown.
- Holy crap did that actually just happen?! Oliver Perez (+16.8%% pitching, +46.6% hitting!) bats with two outs in the 15th and the tying run on second, and he bunts into a two-base throwing error to tie the game (+46.6%). Also, he gets the last four outs in relief to earn a shutdown.
- Finally! Chris Heisey (+39.9%) sends us home happy with a walk off bomb over the visiting bullpen to lead off the 16th (+36.8%).
Today's WPA brought to you by not involved in the decision: