- Trouble with the long ball: Max Scherzer (-41.6% pitching, +4.4% hitting) gives up 7 runs in 5 IP, all via the the home run, also fanning 7 and walking 3 (two of whom scored). He does manage a two-out RBI single in the 2nd (+9.3%), but it wasn't quite enough help.
- It's okay to get other kinds of hits: Anthony Rendon (+7.1%) hits a first-inning solo shot, his first hit since... his last home run (+10.5%).
- Normally I dismiss any nickname FP proposes, but this is beginning to seem apt: Daniel "Hits" Murphy (+11.5%) is 4-4 with a double.
- And yet, it's not really a let down: Ben Revere (-10.5%) celebrates his second appearance as a Nat by going 0-5 with a K and 2 LOB.
- WPA is a fickle mistress: Jayson Werth (-7.8%) doubles in a pair of runs with two out in the ayeth (+1.4%), but the WPA hamsters were more concerned by the 3 Ks and 3 LOB earlier in the game.
- Every day is a good day for junk-timin': Wilson Ramos (+5.3%) pads his stats with a two-out, two-run, no-doubt bomb to get the Nats within two in the ayeth (+4.9%).
Today's WPA brought to you by intelligence: