Image courtesy Fangraphs.
- You pitch to the zone you have, not the zone you wish you had: Max Scherzer(+43.4%) works about some truly horrendous plate-umpiring to go 7 scoreless with with 7 Ks and 3 walks.
- WPA isn’t impressed by offense: Matt Weiters (+12.8%) doubles to lead off the 5th (+8.2%) then takes 3rd on a WP (+4.4%), scoring on a Wilmer Difo (+1.0%) RBI single to get the Nats on the board (+5.2%). Adam Eaton (+1.6%) follows with an RBI double for the eventual winning win (+9.5%).
- Not a clinic in reliever effectiveness: Blake Treinen (-28.8%) melts down in the 9th, loading the bases and walking in a run.
- Our (eventual) hero: Shawn Kelley (+32.9%) earns his shutdown the hard way, getting the last out twice to seal the win.
- Mentioned in dispatches: Ryan Zimmerman (+10.9%) is 2-3 with a double, a walk, and an RBI.
C.B. Bucknor is the best argument for robot umpires
Just look at this nonsense! Balls in the middle of the zone! Strikes nearly a foot inside and outside! This man needs to be replaced by cameras and computers right away.
Tonight’s WPA brought to you by calling balls and strikes: