Image courtesy Fangraphs.
- Maybe a batter or two too many: Max Scherzer (+19.4%) gives up one run in 6 2⁄3 innings pitched with 7 Ks and 2 BBs, plus an inherited runner later.
- Start with a bang: Bryce Harper (+15.5%) lofts a two-run homer just out to right with one out in the first to put the Nats ahead early (+17.2%).
- Partwise one-two punch: Daniel Murphy (+16.3%) clobbers a two-run blast of his own a dozen or so rows back in right to pad the lead with two outs in the third (+14.3%).
- Veteran junk-timing: Jayson Werth (+1.9%) pads his stats by crushing a meaningless three-run bomb out to left with one down in the 5th for a 7-run lead (+4.7%).
- Bullpen depth: Enny Romero (-13.8%) puts two on without recording an out in the ayeth after the lead had narrowed to three to earn meltdown. Koda Glover (+18.8%) comes in to get 3 quick outs and earn a shutdown.
Tonight’s WPA brought to you by a hail of bombs: