Image courtesy Fangraphs.
- Another wasted outing: Tanner Roark (+10.4%) throws gives up 2 runs (none earned) in six innings, walking 3 and fanning 5.
- Second-best “Turner”: Trea Turner (-15.4%) is 0-5 with 2 Ks.
- First-best Werth: Jayson Werth (+31.1%) is 4-5 with a double, a first-inning solo shot to put the Nats ahead early (+10.2%), and a two-run tater to regain the lead with two outs in the 5th (+26.3%).
- Also good: Anthony Rendon (+8.8%) singles in a run with one out in the 7th, also advancing a runner to set up another run (+13.2%).
- Off the closer short-list: Matt Albers (-59.8%) melts down pretty heinously, giving up a three-run bomb to tie the game in the aeyth (-44.6%), and leaving with two on and no outs in the 9th.
- Moving up the closer short-list: Enny Romero (+31.4%) comes on to defuse Albers’ jam, working around a single to end the inning and send the game to extras.
- Closers are dumb: Blake Treinen (-36.5%) earns the final meltdown of the evening, loading the bases with one out before giving up the losing sac fly.
Tonight’s WPA brought to you by pitching skills: