Image courtesy Fangraphs.
(What do these graphs and percentages mean?)
- I’ve seen worse this season: Gio Gonzalez (-28.4%) has some trouble keeping it in the yard, giving up 6 runs in 6 IP with 2 Ks, 4 walks, and 3 HR allowed.
- Junk time all the time: Bryce Harper (+6.9%) slams a solo bomb the other way with two down in the ayeth to pad his stats a little (+1.9%).
- More junk-time heroes: Blake Treinen (+0.7%) throws a 1-2-3 7th with 2 Ks to no particular WPA, while Joe Blanton (+0.7%) manages to work around 3 hits (none of which were HRs!) to throw a scoreless aeyth—also to negligible WPA.
- Finally, a big play: Matt Weiters (+12.1%) doubles in a run to get the Nats within two and put runners 2nd/3rd with one out in the 9th (+15.4%)
- TOOTBLANtastic: Brian Goodwin (-23.8%) gets saddled with the WPA penalty when Adam Lind (-0.3%) gets caught between 3rd and home after his groundout for a game-ending double play.
Tonight’s WPA brought to you by all those times I wouldn’t shut up about seeing Nirvana open for Dinosaur Jr. (and, frankly, Dinosaur Jr. was better) at the Palladium back in ‘90: