clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Washington Nationals & New York Yankees will try again tonight, but... it doesn’t look promising

Last night’s game had to be suspended, and the forecast for the completion of that one and the second matchup with the Yankees doesn’t look promising.

New York Yankees v Washington Nationals Photo by Greg Fiume/Getty Images

Everyone involved knew about the rain in the forecast, but the hope for both Washington’s Nationals and the visiting New York Yankees was that they’d get through last night’s series opener of their Interleague matchup in the nation’s capital.

They managed to get through the top of the fifth to make things official, but a two-run rally by the Yankees tied things up at 3-3.

After the top of the sixth, the game was delayed and then suspended after an hour or so of a rain delay.

“We thought it was going to rain,” Nationals’ skipper Davey Martinez told reporters after the game was suspended. “We were just trying to stay ahead, and then we tried to score.

New York Yankees v Washington Nationals Photo by Greg Fiume/Getty Images

“We pinch hit for Gio [Gonzalez] to see if we could maybe score a run before the rain came, but it didn’t happen, so we resume tomorrow.”

“It was an odd night,” Yankees’ skipper Aaron Boone said, as quoted by the New York Post’s Dan Martin.

“Hopefully, we get some level of cooperation weather-wise [Wednesday] and we can pull this thing out,” he added. “I’m glad we were able to fight back in this.”

Martinez was asked if his team approached the game any differently knowing that rain was likely at some point last night.

“You can’t predict the weather, so for us, we told them we always want to score first, we did that, we just couldn’t hold the lead to that point,” he said.

The forecast for this evening isn’t much better, unfortunately, though they’ll try to pick things up at 5:05 PM before the start of the second game at 7:05, weather permitting.

“The forecast we know doesn’t look great,” Boone told reporters.

“All we can do is hope that something breaks up for us and get prepared to hopefully start at 5 o’clock and hope we can get a couple games in. Obviously, that’s out of our hands.”

If they can’t get today’s games in, they’ll have to reschedule things for later in the season, apparently, since the Yankees don’t come back to D.C., and they’re scheduled to fly out to Kansas City later tonight for the start of their series with the Royals this weekend.

“My understanding is that if we don’t get it in, we’re going,” Boone said.

“But I’m sure those will be things they have to work through over the next 24 hours if the weather doesn’t cooperate.”