Sean Doolittle said last week that when he looked back on his first All-Star experience in 2014, it wasn’t the game itself which stood out in his memory, but all the events and the excitement that go along with the Midsummer Classic.
The 89th annual All-Star Game is, if you somehow haven’t noticed, being held in Nationals Park tonight, and that means that before the rain started to fall in the nation’s capital, they rolled out the red carpet for the players’ arrival at the park in Washington, D.C.
Here’s a quick look at some of the Nationals (we didn’t get to ask what they were wearing because we were trying to find a way to get our Uber driver close to the park with all the street closures in the neighborhood).
Bryce Harper who took the Home Run Derby last night (but like totally cheated, amirite?), is back at Nationals Park, with his wife Kayla Varner, both of whom walked the red carpet in like totally millenial style:
And yes, those are D.C. monuments forming a quilt-like lining in Harper’s jacket (I have no idea how to discuss fashion). Harper wore a custom STITCHED suit for the ASG red carpet.:
[ed. note - “After we posted this, we received an email letting us know that Bryce Harper’s suit was in fact, as mentioned above, a custom STITCHED suit, so we asked if there was any more information they could share, and there was plenty, so here, without further ado, is all the info we received on Harper’s red carpet look for the All-Star Game.”]
Custom suit by STITCHED:
- Midnight Navy blue fabric, with a bold red windowpane
- 1 button front enclosure
- 4 functioning button holes on each sleeve. 3 buttons feature red thread button holes, the 4th button hole is popped out in white.
- Premium white mother of pearl horned buttons. Sewn down with red thread.
- Notch lapel with whited threaded button hole, and a deviated red fabric throat latc
- front of the coat features 2 standard flap pockets, and an added ticket pocket. Each pocket has added piping in red.
- Jacket and pants are a hand make, with hand pick stitching in red thread.
- Inside custom lining features famous monuments of Washington DC, and a XXXX proprietary American flag logo we created for the BH34 logo.
- Name plaque on the inside of the jacket reads: RED, WHITE, & BRYCE
- Underneath the jack collar is sewn “All Star Bryce Harper 220”
- Pants feature red pick stitching, kick guards, a watch pocket, and an embroidered message to his wife Kayla in the zipper placket. The embroidery reads “Kayla’s [Love Hand symbol that is not in our emoji options apparently].”
- Premium white fabric shirt.
- Deviated red fabric was sewn inside of the collar, and down the front placket.
- Navy blue buttons were sewn down with red thread.
- In place of the monogram on the cuff, we embroidered our XXXX log
Custom slippers, in partnership with Del Toro:
- Red velvet slip on dress shoes
- Custom embroidered BH34 XXXX American Flag logo, that separates between the two shoes
Finishing Touches & Accessories:
- White cotton pocket square, with red piping. Embroidered with BH34 logo
- American flag SAXX underwear, embroidered BH34 logo
- Stance no show dress socks, in an american flag pattern. Embroidered BH34 logo
- Red Del Toro belt, to match slippers.
- Red, White and Blue GUCCI Sunglasses.
- Gold XXXX tie bar, clipped to the breast pocket
Then there’s tonight’s starter, Max Scherzer, always dapper, with a casual look to his attire. He’s a real man of the people...
Scherzer’s out there pressing the flesh:
Sean Doolittle and Eireann Dolan are as hip and casual as usual, with Sean wearing a Love Wins t-shirt that’s in keeping with his pleasant Twitter presence (he and Smash Mouth are like totally friends):
@Nationals Twitter wasn’t very nice to Doolittle (by which we mean no offense to Seth Rogen. Damn it, we’ve totally stepped in it.):
Live look at @Sethrogen arriving at the #Oscars. pic.twitter.com/hIHNvMvl94— Washington Nationals (@Nationals) July 17, 2018
Though Sean’s response won the battle:
this is a Superbad tweet https://t.co/6tLZzWJj04— Sean Doolittle (@whatwouldDOOdo) July 17, 2018
And we can’t forget Nationals’ manager Davey Martinez, last seen embracing Harper after the 25-year-old outfielder like totally cheated his way to the HR Derby win (apparently):
Not a bad look, Davey, but shoulders back, please, you’re slouchy.
Also, Scherzer baby is adorable:
We'd say this should hang above the fireplace...— Washington Nationals (@Nationals) July 17, 2018
...but the mantel is already filled with Cy Young Awards.#AllStarGame // #OnePursuit pic.twitter.com/h8e8fmuvS3