Washington Nationals’ third baseman Anthony Rendon was clear from the start that even if he was selected, he wasn’t sure he would attend the All-Star Game, and when he did learn that he was added to the National League roster for the Midsummer Classic, he reiterated that some nagging injuries might lead him to take time off instead and rest up for the start of the so-called “second half” of the 2019 campaign.
“We talked about it yesterday,” Rendon told reporters in Detroit last weekend, “so it’s funny how we bring up the nagging injuries. So it’ll be funny how it’s going to play out if I decide to go or decide to see the training staff and try to get right for the second half.”
His manager, Davey Martinez, told reporters he thought the 29-year-old infielder would end up going to Cleveland, where the 90th annual All-Star Game is being held.
“I have a funny feeling, and this is just me speaking, I won’t speak for Anthony, but I think he’ll show up in Cleveland,” Martinez said.
As of this afternoon, however, the manager still wasn’t sure if Rendon would go.
Martinez says he has not yet heard a decision from Rendon about going to Cleveland.— Todd Dybas (@Todd_Dybas) July 5, 2019
An hour before tonight’s series opener with the Kansas City Royals in the nation’s capital, MLB made the official announcement:
Max Muncy has been named to the NL All-Star team to replace Anthony Rendon. pic.twitter.com/3CVJad9Y67— MLB (@MLB) July 5, 2019
Through 72 games this season, Rendon has a .310/.395/.627 line with 21 doubles and 20 home runs in 311 plate appearances, over which he’s been worth 3.4 fWAR.
Considering he told reporters earlier this summer that he would love to be an All-Star if he didn’t have to go, this probably isn’t too much of a surprise.